Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hosting - about 500M, 5to10G - apache, php5, MySQL

Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Hosting - about 500M, 5to10G - apache, php5, MySQL

I know uses get "free" webspace", but such ISP free webspace is usually limited and it's usually advised to have a seperate web host for serious use - even for small hobby / society / small company web sites.
DO PN do such a separate web hosting service - separate from Broadband accounts. I need about 500M, 5to 10G traffic/m, Apache server, php 5 and soon hope to use MySQL.
I currently have a few sites for charities on 1and1 - the "Home" package that has 20G traffic allowance.
sorry if I've missed it here - but it is not very obvious - to me at least 🙂
I've been recommended to use Freeola - and their "free" web space doesn't allow access via Broadband if you don't buy their B/B - or a £3 per month for Web Freedom.
13 REPLIES 13
Kev_Mawson
Grafter

Re: Hosting - about 500M, 5to10G - apache, php5, MySQL

Hi
We offer hosting via PAYH
http://payh.co.uk/
Please feel free to take a look, we have just upgraded to PHP5
Mal08
Rising Star

mmm - Thanks Kev,
Not really competitive I'm afraid to say - £54 per year for 250M and only 1.5G traffic a month  Sad
I'd have to use the £9.99 package to even get close and that's £120 per year of course.
1and1 offer 4G space and 40G traffic for about that price.
A real shame as PN's customer service  support seems to be much better - but we have a tight budget as a voluntary organisation.
As an aside - it took me many seconds to work out where to click on the http://www.pay-as-you-host.com/ page - the packages didn't hit me in the face - had to look all down the small menu.
Kev_Mawson
Grafter

Hi
Maybe worth having a look at the link below:
http://www.webhostingstuff.com/review/11InternetInc.html
Thanks for the feedback on the site, we will hopefully shortly be improving the sales page.
Mal08
Rising Star

Hi Kev, yes I'm aware of that sort of report - but as some of the posters say - the have  never had any problems - and I'm the same .
That's why I've been looking around the market for a while - but as I said - the websites i do are only for very small  charities

thanks

Mal08
Rising Star

PAYH Standard
OK - I've found the logs and one site is well under 1.5G traffic - and on 70M of files
but one is very close to the limit for traffic. Most months it is about 1G with a few months at 1.2G - but one month swung up to 1.9G with a yearly average of 0.98G
So what happens if traffic goes over the limit ? -
Is it possible to top up the limit a little like you can with B/B traffic levels ?.
This may seem a strange question - but can you pay in advance for  say 3, 6 or 12 months - as I said before - some charities don't have debit/credit cards or even bank accounts with derect debit facilities.

Kev_Mawson
Grafter

Hi
So what happens if traffic goes over the limit ?

At present we drop you an email to let you know you have gone over your usage, we would only take further action if this was happening regular. We are looking to introduce a tool that will allow you to pay a small fee to reset your data transfer for the remainder of the month.
can you pay in advance for  say 3, 6 or 12 months

With PAYH, you can add as much, or as little credit as you want, once the credit has been added, you then control how much of the credit you wish to use for hosting.
If you have any further queries, please feel free to ask.
Mal08
Rising Star

Very many thanks for excellent support Kev, - you most certainly wouldn't get that elsewhere that I have mentioned.
Looks like you may well be getting another customer - just got to get approval from the Chairwoman  Grin
Kev_Mawson
Grafter

Hi
Thats good to hear, im sure you wont be disappointed.
If you have any further queries, feel free to get in touch  Smiley
Mal08
Rising Star

Some related advice if I may please.
The site I'm planning to move to PAYH is for a very small UK charity - for whom I set up the website and have run for them a few years ago. ( I'm not a director of the organisation by the way, just an ordinary member )
1) For ease of setting up - I did it in my name, but I really should legally transfer it to the charity - and I presume we do this through Nominet ( it is a org.uk )
2)  I need to transfer into to PAYH and get payment made direct from the charities bank account.
3) I need to get the IPS-KEY from the present hosting company before the account expires on about 7th Sept and move it over to PAYH
Somehow - I can just see this getting a little tricky or am I being negative - I planned to do it last year, but just went for the easy option and kept it with the existing hosting company.
Could a Plus.net / Pay as You Go customer service person help ?
thanks
Mal08
Rising Star

Another query !
on
https://www.plus.net/residential/broadband/broadband_home_features.shtml
Which is a "free" web hosting for ADSL customers 
it states :
Webspace
Make your mark on the Internet with 250MB of webspace for your own site
Web traffic
250MB daily website traffic allowance

On
http://www.pay-as-you-host.com/price.php
it states:
PAYH Standard
Per hosted domain
- 250MB Filespace
- 1.5Gb Data transfer per month

So for ADSL customers it offers 250M webspace and 250M traffic per day - which is about 250 x 30 = 6.5G per month Huh
On PAYH if offers 250M webspace and 1.5G traffic per month Huh
I always thought  "free"  webhosting was not so good as proper webhosting
So If one has a ADSL account - one seems to get domains, webhosting, php, MySQL, and the above.
What am I missing ?  Smiley
If one has an ADSL account - and one also does a website(s) - what's the advnatge of having an additional PAYH account ?
except it may be a separate unconnected account - and the hosting account appears to have inferior specification Huh
sorry - not trying to be difficult - just trying to understand what is best.

chickendippers
Grafter

Web hosting is much more than just the disk space and data transfer quotas, it's also about the features and ease of use of the platform. In my brief time as a Plusnet customer and following an initial read through of the hosting documentation it seems that the system has its little quirks. One would hope that a proper web hosting company would have a less quirky system.
SoulBriski
Grafter

Hi
Sorry to tag on to your thread but it's very relevant to my own needs.
I have a very similar situation as you where I will be creating websites for a number of different organisations and am looking for a hosting solution.
Have you decided on a solution yet?, did you go with PAYH?
I have just posted a new topic detailing my issues http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,69017.0.html
mal0z
Grafter

Yes - I did go with PAYH -
Kev was a tremendous help - helping with the transfer from the previous host.
I'll be honest and agree that the package is a little quirky - and took a short time to adjust to, but Kev guided me through it and it's been online for a few weeks now.
I now find the added features worth the time getting used to the new hosting package.