cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hosting a website on a static ip

fgpn11

Hosting a website on a static ip

Hi All
I have been a PlusNet customer for a while, using their value product. I have just upgraded to unlimited with a static ip as I want to host a site on this connection. I have a number of sites hosted on a server through another line with another supplier, and I would eventually like to move all these sites to the plusnet line.
I am reasonably IT literate, and I have configured the sites, router and IIS to work on the other line. But I can't get anything to work on the Plusnet line. I have tried everything I can think of to persuade the router to allow HTTP traffic in and direct in to my server, just as I have done on my other line, but nothing works.
I would be grateful for any advice on what I need to check, and whether PlusNet themselves need to change anything at their end.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Re: Hosting a website on a static ip

For a start it does work because I run web and email servers on my static IP connection.

Check what your Plusnet Broadband Firewall is set to ?
Try switching it "Off" to see whether http://CanYouSeeMe.org then sees port 80 or whatever you are using.
If successful, then try setting the firewall to the most appropriate setting (such as "Block common ports except HTTP and HTTPS") and try again.
When changing the Plusnet firewall, remember to reboot your connection in order for the new settings to be applied.
fgpn11

Hi
Thanks for confirming that you have a static ip hosting a website working, this is a comfort!
Firstly, since my first post something has already changed, as I can now ping the address and get a response, which I couldn't before.
My Plusnet firewall is off, it always has been, as I use the firewall in my router.
canyouseeme.org is a useful site which I did not know about, thanks for pointing me at it. I now reports that my port 80 is open (it didn't to start with).
And there is some progress, in that the two domains I have pointing at my IP address now resolve to the router login, which they didn't before.
My router is a Zyxel P-660H-D1, which I have configured on the other line successfully, does not seem to be routing incoming traffic on Port 80 to my server. I have a firewall wall to let it through, and I have a NAT mapping my external IP address to the internal.
Any more thoughts would be much appreciated.
FG
Community Veteran

Quote from: fgpn11
And there is some progress, in that the two domains I have pointing at my IP address now resolve to the router login, which they didn't before.

So from a remote location, are you getting the login screen for your gateway ?
If you are seeing (remotely) your gateway login screen, then you need to disable (or change ports) for the remote http admin login before incoming http will pass to your local server.
You will need to set up a router port forward for incoming port-80 to be directed to the local LAN IP address of your web server.
fgpn11

I have changed the HTTP management setting to LAN only and the port to 81. I no longer get the login screen but still no response. I have tried this all ways, including using my mobile phone.
I am going to have to change the router and report back, but as my other router is currently in use for the live websites I am going to have to do this at a quiet time.
My other line has 5 available IP addresses, the plusnet only has one. It may be that this router can't cope with that. I shall test some more and report back.
FG
fgpn11

Hi Purleigh
May I ask what router you are using. I am coming to the conclusion that neither the Thompson supplied by Plusnet nor my Zyxel are up to the job. Knowing one that does work might help.
thanks
FG
Community Veteran

I have gone through about ten different modem/routers (Linksys / Netgear / Draytek / Billion/ and others) and they have all worked.
However I have never tried the Thomson or Zyxel.
1)  Have you set up the port forward for TCP port 80 to point at your web server on your LAN ?
2)  If you have, can you browse your web server from your local LAN ?
3)  If you can,  have you set the port 80 firewall rules in your web server to accept requests from outside your local LAN ?
fgpn11

1. Yes, the Zyxel does this through NAT. I have tried both the SUA and Full Feature. Neither lets incoming traffic through to my server on this line. On an almost identical Zyxel router on my other line it does, but on the other line I have five available IP addresses. One is permanently assigned to the router and a DIFFERENT one is assigned to the Web server using the full feature. This used to work with my other Zyxel router (the one I am trying to set up) but now doesn't.
2. Yes, I can browse my web server from my local lan, and through the other ADSL line.
3. Yes, I have set the firewall to accept port 80 requests, I have even tested with it accepting all ports to that server, and even turning the firewall off. Nothing works.
My conclusion is that either I have a faulty router, or Plusnet's service is not designed to allow port 80 requests through to a server. They will just stop at the router which after all has the static ip address.
All my routers are a few years old, 4/5, so perhaps a newer one will do the trick.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 49

I've looked at the Zyxel manual and I can't see why it shouldn't do what you want,
It WILL need NAT setting to SUA though, since you only have one global IP.
This http://www.zyxeltech.de/snotezw5_362/app/multi_nat.htm seems to explain things quite well. The only odd thing I can see with the Zyxel compared to most other routers is that not only do you need to setup a server and port forwarding BUT you also have to add a firewall rule to forward as well.
fgpn11

Yes, it should be quite straightforward. I have updated the firmware and there is still no difference. I'll try a different router when I get the chance.
Community Veteran

Have a look at this - http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm
There is lots of other help on that site, and a different port tester (from the way that the usual ones work !).
fgpn11

Many thanks all for your help, I do appreciate it very much.
I think I have cracked it, and as you may have expected it was an internal problem on my network. The default gateway on my webserver was still pointing to the other adsl line, I didn't think this mattered, but it does. The fixed IP address is now working, albeit with a new (and probably unnecessary) router.
Once again, thanks for the comments and help. Excluding negatives is always useful!
FG
Community Veteran

Cool