cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hosting Bahind a BT Voyager router...

Bigfootmech

Hosting Bahind a BT Voyager router...

not sure this is the right bit of the forum, sorry if it's incorrect. I'm new here.
I sent this message to plusnet, and they jsut referred me to the community forums, figures
"I have forwarded port 80, I have set my internal IP as the virtual server, and you cannot access the router from a remote location, so why after all this do when I go to http://bigfootmech.dyndns.org I get my router settings? - and yes I've checked that going to 192.168.1.4 (my internal address) as opposed to me external address shows me my website.
Please tell me anything that I actually need to do to get this hog of a router to let me host a server bahind it.
PS: the BT Voyager 2110 router came with our package."
Anyone that can help me with my problem please post, all comments welcome. Also please don't just say "buy a new router" as this is not a real solution, I got this router with plusnet and so far it hasn't given out. i've had 2 other linksys routers 1 still sorta works I think but it was definately breaking the connection very often which was a right pain. Plus I'm not very willing to shell out more of my meager allowace for a router if it can be done another way.
13 REPLIES 13
paulh
Rising Star

Re: Hosting Bahind a BT Voyager router...

How are you testing it?
You probably won't be able to check it from another machine (or the same machine) on your own LAN as the BT 2110 probably can't manage an "out and in" route.
Can you check it from another internet connection to test it? Say a friend or from college or work?
I've tried going to your site and to the IP associated with it only to have it time out and give a 404 -- but you may have given up or your server might not be running or whatever, so that might not prove anything.
I don't use that router so can't be more specific.
paul
glyndev
Grafter

Try to access it through one of the free web proxies that are out there.
I use http://www.guardster.com/ . you need the one at the bottom of the page "Free Anonymous Web Proxy"
Bigfootmech

I've done both (forgot to mention that). Got a friend and used anonymouse to check it, no avail. Just shows some sort of error, I thik it's the router dropping the connection as it is remote. Also serv is on my home computer so it's not really reliable to be on 24/7 as I have to turn it off at night etc. Save the enviroment :P. However the router is still on, and I'd wager that's whats causing the 404.
It's really frustrating as I've googled it and loads of people seem to have a similar problem but I'm seeing no solutions!
I've done this before with a linksys router and had almost no problems whatsoever. BT FTL >:(. I don't even know why plusnet gave me this router o0.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I've just tried this using RDP to my machine at home. I have a Voyager 2091.
I installed Abyss Web Server X1, set up a test site and then tried accessing the server from work. I was able to browse to the test site by setting up a single port forwarding rule as per the attached screengrab (config > virtual server > port forwarding).
The only other thing you might want to check is any IP filtering rules you have configured (config >  security >  ip filter)

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

paulh
Rising Star

[quote="Bob"]I installed Abyss Web Server X1
That is a fabulous little multiplatform server  Cool
Bigfootmech

I've used apache, and reinstalled it, so I'm not that much of a fan of a new server... tried your advice to the point (because I'd already said the virtual server thing) and  af adding "web server" instead of forwarding all of tcp and udp port 80, but it still doesn't work :S.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

What happens if you browse to your WAN IP address instead of the hostname? I think you've already mentioned this but presumably the remote access pages are as the attached screengrab?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Bigfootmech

Mentioned and yep, pretty much
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

You could try to packet capture an attempt to access the server via a browser from an external machine. That should give you more of an idea as to what's happening. If you do this I'm willing to take a quick look. It's not my area of expertise but I'm sure I can refer the results to somebody else if needs be.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

pd
Grafter

Have you checked your firewall settings on PN to make sure you are not blocking port 80 there.
pd
Bigfootmech

I don't have access to a remote machine atm, and won't for a while. SO basically the diagnosis is: it should be working, but isnt?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Pretty much. There's no reason why you can't achieve what you're trying to on a Plusnet ADSL connection and it would seem that your NAT settings should accommodate this. My thought at the moment is that the problem must lie elsewhere.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

balkce
Dabbler

I know this thread is a bit a old, but I wanted to comment if there's still someone out there looking to solve this problem:
The Voyager 2091 is not the problem (in fact, I think it's one of the best home routers I've had). Plus.net has a "Broadband Firewall" that is set in "Low" as a default, not letting pass port 80, as well other ports. You need to go set your Broadband Firewall to off to do this.
I don't think I need to remind you the grave risk you're going at, so please secure your computers with either a local firewall or a good network monitor.
Cheers.