cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hosting 2 websites on my webspace

PatB

Hosting 2 websites on my webspace

I have managed to move my website to my plusnet webspace. But I am currently building another small website for a local art group would like to host it on my webspace and need to create a separate folder for this so that my own webpages are not affected. Is there anyway I can do this with out having to register it as a new domain? I'm uploading using ftp from Dreamweaver. Help appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Hosting 2 websites on my webspace

How are they supposed to access their website if they don't have a domain name? It may not look good if they are usng your username as their website URL.
Registering domains is very cheap now (but not from PN). You can get a .co.uk for about £7 for 2 years using one of the more common domain reg companies like 1and1.co.uk or my current one daily.co.uk..
Just use your FTP program to create a new folder and put any other website in there. You then access it using www.username.plus.com/foldername/.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

You can even get one from freeola.... I got my .co.uk from them at £10 for two years.
They even do hosting for small sites for free too!
http://freeola.com/
have a look...... check out the navigation bar at the top of the page.... Wink
PatB

Thanks for the info.  I just come over from a beeb account from which I had the option of creating an additional account called artgroup which of course replaced my username then uploading the files into there. I think it's maybe time to get a domain name though. 
PatB

Well I finally got around to buying a url for the art group form Daily, thanks for the advice. I've registered and transfered the domain to my plusnet account - all fine and dandy. But.... configuring my ftp from dreamweaver as follows:
FTP host: ftp.plus.net
Host directory: htdocs/
Login:username
Passwd:*****
Of course this brings up my own directory with my own web files there already so if I upload I'll overwrite my files. So my question is how do I create another folder within my htdocs?
I thought I could specify in host directory: htdocs/artgroup. But of course this folder would have to be created! 
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you dont have to create a folder, you can have it all in the root, but you can also just have the first page in root and the other linked parts in a separate forlder, it is really up to you.
I an really a novice, even though my first site is now 10 years old, havnt yet used PHP or CGI, just plain old HTML, but it works for me, I have four separate sites in the same root
PatB

Thanks Pierre
Well, I did manage to get the art group folder into my webspace at the second attempt as first time  I accidently replaced my own index page! But so far the domain gariochartgroup.org.uk is not picking up the folder even though it's all registered and transfered in.
Also is there any way to clean up my htdocs folder as I now have alot of redundant files there? Excuse my lack of savvy with this, I do work with websites but am more used to hauling files on and off my own organisations server.
All this FTP defeats me!

pierre_pierre
Grafter

I dont know which FTP you are using, I use the bog standard one on Firefox, it opens like a twin pane explorer, pc on left (Two columns), Right server.  Click on the files I dont want and then delete.  Simple on mine
PatB

Hi Pierre
I'm on dreamweaver but i can try from Firefox. By the way the website is now appearing.
Thanks for the info.
kdl
Dabbler

Quote from: PatB
Well, I did manage to get the art group folder into my webspace at the second attempt as first time  I accidently replaced my own index page! But so far the domain gariochartgroup.org.uk is not picking up the folder even though it's all registered and transfered in.
Also is there any way to clean up my htdocs folder as I now have alot of redundant files there?

Hi. I know this is a relatively old topic now, but I just joined the forums and am doing some research to see if my questions are already asked Smiley
Anyway, if you log in to the "Domain Management" part of the portal and click on the "Configure" button for the art group domain, you will see you have the option of hosting that domain in a subdirectory of your webspace. It defaults to htdocs/ (i.e., the root of your webspace) but if you change it to, say, "htdocs/gariochartgroup.org.uk" (it doesn't have to be the domain name, but that keeps things tidy :)) then all the files for that domain can be moved under the directory and be kept separate from your standard plusnet account data.
Note that they say it takes a while for this to propogate through the system, so you might want to first place a temporary "welcome" page in the new location (that says "service will be resumed shortly" or something) and wait until it starts getting served - then move the real files under that location.
Hope that helps!
Marteknet
Grafter

Having separate directories in hotdogs and directing the burl of each domain works well for basic sites. (html only) But be warned if you ever want to develop these web sites more say to be dynamic and use such things as PUP, MYSELF, GOD, then look elsewhere for hosting, there is no way to separate domains properly on the CAGE server. Also there is no other important issue with using more then one domain on plus/force servers, it is emails all email sent to any domain will get routed to the same mailbox. there is no easy way to redirect emails to different people based on the domain name. all plus/force mailbox routines to redirect emails use the first part of the email address the bit before the @ so it can NOT tell that Bart@domain.co.auk and Bart@domain.co.auk are intended for different people. this is not so good when more then one clients ask for info@there domain or sales@there domain there is not way this can work.  there are other issues as well robots metatarsi work ok in separate folders on hotdogs but on cage forget it. BAD NEWS if you have two domains using the cage server then there is no way to set up separate robots text files to control what is scanned for listing in search engines from each domain. This is because the robots.txt file has to live in the root directory and therefore you can only have one Instance of it.
to sum up:
if you are going to develop these domains at a later time to become interactive or you need entirely separate email addresses for each domain then host the website somewhere else at the start save yourself a lot of hassle, I learnt the hard way. 😞