cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hosted domain email

BJepson
Grafter

Hosted domain email

By default email going to a hosted domain gets chaneled through the same route as email to the basic plusnet account.  Is it possible (using dns records or other tricks) to have all email sent to a domain redirected to a different domain. eg someone@mydomain1.co.uk redirected to someone@mydomain2.co.uk.
Alternatively is it possible to get all email going to a domain redirected to a single mailbox on the 'host' plusnet account.
The reason I ask is that I manage a domain for a family member, but they don't want to have to deal with the email comming into their domian, they'd rather I got it.  Both our accounts are on plusnet (f9 actually).
5 REPLIES 5
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Hosted domain email

Login to the Account that you want to Redirect the Mail from, go to:
>Email Settings
Then
>Manage My Mail
Then Click on Redirects, Now Click on ADD NEW Redirect, Next Enter a Re-direct name: in the box, such as "john"
Next Enter the Destination address: such as john@name.f9.co.uk or  john@mdomain.co.uk

Next Click ADD Thats it!
BJepson
Grafter

But that would only redirect one mailbox (ie John) receiveing mail from either the base f9 account or the hosted domain.
What I want to do is redirect everything (ie all possible mail boxes) received under the hosted domain name but not anything received under the base f9 accout name.
I suspect this could only be done if I could get the dns records on my relatives hosted account set up to send email one way (to my F9 account) whilst the web traffic went to their server space as normal.
itsme
Grafter

It can't be done by DNS records as this only point the domain to a email server. It's the email server that have to be configured either by redirect or the use of domain alias. I use domain alias on my email server to achieve what you are asking but I believe that PN does not offer this so you only have the redirect option.
glyndev
Grafter

The easiest way to do this would be to set up your email program to retrieve all the email from the account, both for the base f9 account as well as the domain name, and then create a message filter rule that would automatically delete any message with "@username.f9.co.uk" as the "To" address.
BJepson
Grafter

Thanks chaps.