Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hosted Domain Setup

andun84
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hosted Domain Setup

I'm trying to make my plusnet registered domain point to my home computer so that I can test a kolab mail server and a magento website. I previously had both pointed to google for both mail and sites with subdomain registered for docs and calendar so that  I could quickly access my calendar and files so I'd like to retain those subdomains if that's possible.
The control panel setup is shown below:

I haven't set up the mail server yet so can't test but I don't get anything useful sent to it anyway so not bothered if things get bounced in the meantime.
If I use:
https://www.whatsmydns.net/
To check things out vivente.co.uk gets a big fat x at all sites and the CNAME lookup for www.vivente.co.uk points to ghs.google.com
So clearly I've done something wrong. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
8 REPLIES 8
andun84
Rising Star

Re: Hosted Domain Setup

Email doesn't work either as when I send a message to username@vivtente.co.uk it comes to me via gmail. Now given that I clearly have SMTP set to be sent to my static IP surely this can't be a configuration error on my part so this is looking like my changes in the control panel are not being picked up.
avatastic
Grafter

Everything looks right from the screenshot you've posted.
How long ago did you make the change? I know it can take a while for the PN DNS settings to update (and then 4 hours for the DNS to propagate based on the TTL from PN DNS Servers)
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
andun84
Rising Star

It was at least a week ago so I would have expected the old dns entries to now have expired and the new ones to have been picked up.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I can see there's been a few changes since you posted (including the removal of some of those Google records). A few things still didn't look quite right to me though, so I've made a few changes. Give me a nudge if things still don't look right after 24 hours or so.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

andun84
Rising Star

Oops hadn't got replies set up for this so I fear I probably have amended things since you made change Bob.
I've really just taken everything as back to as simple as I can think to make it ie A record to route the domain to my static ip and I've used a cname to route anybody using www to my domain name which then should go to my static ip address.
I got  reply from the helpdesk advising me to set up MX records for my mail server however from what I've read by choosing the SMTP option the MX are automatically configured and thus I shouldn't be doing that. I did however try it out at one stage and that didn't seem to sort so I removed it again. I would only do this if I was wanting to route to a non plusnet ip address such as when it was hosted on google apps. I'm still receiving mail through google apps so the SMTP
Here's the latest config:

I haven't touched it I think in at least 48 hours so the config as shown so it should have done it's magic round the root servers however it still stuck. If you wouldn't mind taking a look at this again for me when you are back in. I've enabled notifications now  Smiley
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

The records look fine, however I think the DNS server has got itself into a bit of a panic due to all the alterations in quick succession. It's currently refusing to reload the zone. I've asked one of our Operations guys to remove the old files so it should hopefully reload on the next run.
Let me know if things are still awry this time tomorrow.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

andun84
Rising Star

Thanks Bob. Let's hope that works  Grin
andun84
Rising Star

Thanks. All seems now to be pointing to the right place. Now time to try and set things up.