cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Host wordpress

MeMeMe
Grafter

Host wordpress

I am trying to install Wordpress on my webspace. I'm new at this. All the installation guides instruct me to craete a new user and a new database dedicated to wordpress, but the phpadmin page doesn't appear to allow me to do that. Under create database, it says in red "No Privileges".
Possible extra complication: I have a hosted domain, and I'd like the blog to appear as a folder under that rather than my default plusnet webspace.
8 REPLIES 8
benl

Re: Host wordpress

Just raise a ticket to support asking for your MSQL username and password (assuming you don't already use your database for anything else).  You only get 1 database IIRC. 
Install in a different directory is no problem.  Just upload the installation files into that directory. 
Prod_Man
Grafter

Hello there,
PlusNet Provides a Single MySQL Database for each PlusNet Member,
This is IF you haven't already 'Activated MySQL' in the Members Centre
Under Website Settings Click on the -> MySQL Icon.
You'll recieve an EMail to the Account: admin@username.plus.com.
The Database Details usually look something like this -
Database Host: humbug / rumpus
Database Username: username
Database Name: username_pn
Database Password: *******
PHPMyAdmin will not allow Databases to be Added,
this is because Users do not have (and do not need) the Privledge of custom Database Names.
It's inorder to prevent the Databases becoming untidy, cluttered, unused/unmaintained and duplicate/overwritten data from another User in the Group.
So you have a Domain Name, have you got that setup correctly (Pointing to CCGI I assume?)?
If so, continue to read, if not you'll need to follow these Steps.
1. Change your Hosting Type to "Basic Hosting" by Rasing a Ticket within the Help Centre
2. Setup the Domain Name Records to Point to your CCGI Space (Read this Article Here.
You'll need an Address Reccord (Type: A) and a Name Record (Type: CNAME).
Follow the instructions carefully in the Left/Right Fields you have to put Termination Fullstops (.)
Putting Wordpress in a folder isn't a problem at all ...
Using PuTTY, Login to the CCGI Server to get Shell Access.
Once you're connected, dothe following.
Make the Folder in your CCGI Spaces' Root - call it what ever you wish, my example uses "blog"...
"mkdir blog"
You can use wget from the Command Line to download Wordpress directly to the Server - meaning no need to Upload anything.
"wget http://wordpress.org/latest.zip"
Extract the "latest.zip" using the command
"unzip latest.zip",
once that is complete, delete the ZIP file.
Move the files extacted into the "wordpress" subdirectory, into the "blog" that we want them in.
you can do this by typing
"cd wordpress"
"mv * .."
"cd .."
"rmdir wordpress"
We then only have to allow the PHP scripts to execute! Smiley
Type
"fixphpperms.sh -c"
That will then allow you to Navigate to the Direcotry in your Web Browser and install the System.
So, in round up, what you should type into the Command Line:

username@cshellXX:~/$ mkdir blog
username@cshellXX:~/$ cd blog
username@cshellXX:~/blog$ wget http://wordpress.org/latest.zip
username@cshellXX:~/blog$ unzip latest.zip
username@cshellXX:~/blog$ rm latest.zip
username@cshellXX:~/blog/wordpress$ cd wordpress
username@cshellXX:~/blog/wordpress$ mv * ..
username@cshellXX:~/blog$ cd ..
username@cshellXX:~/blog$ rm wordpress
username@cshellXX:~/blog$ fixphpperms.sh -c

Then just navigate to the Location in your Web Browser, to your "blog" folder @ http://www.domain.ext/blog/index.php
Type "exit" to Logout, (it's not necessary as you can just close the PuTTY Box)
Hope that helps. Smiley
Jim,
MeMeMe
Grafter

Thanks Ben and Jim for your responses.
Quote from: Prod_Man
PlusNet Provides a Single MySQL Database for each PlusNet Member,

If I have, say, wordpress on my site, and later add a wiki which also needs a database, can they use the same database? Or will this limit of one database be a problem?
<snip>
So you have a Domain Name, have you got that setup correctly (Pointing to CCGI I assume?)?
If so, continue to read, if not you'll need to follow these Steps.
1. Change your Hosting Type to "Basic Hosting" by Rasing a Ticket within the Help Centre
2. Setup the Domain Name Records to Point to your CCGI Space (Read this Article Here.
Follow the instructions carefully in the Left/Right Fields you have to put Termination Fullstops (.)

I'm unclear on these steps. The linked article isn't easy reading.
My domain is starscape.me.uk
Is it possible to set up this domain forwarding so that the browser types one of
"blog.starscape.me.uk" or "www.starscape.me.uk/blog" to get to the blog? (I don't need both - just whichever is easiest to set up.)
Which records would I need to create?
Once this is done, is it possible to use this domain for hosting a normal website as well as a blog (and, later, a wiki)? Or will assigning the domain to the blog mean it can't be used for anything else?
Your final instructions suggest using putty. Is it possible to do this with ftp - I'm familiar with that?
Another question: once this is done, will I be able to use my cgi space with my default webspace (username.plus.com) as well as my domain name, if I want to in the future?
MeMeMe
Grafter

Hi, Jim.
I tried the FTP approach with no success, so I bit the bullet and downloaded putty and followed your instructions.
Wordpress is now installed - thanks for that.
I'm still stuck on the domain issue. You said:
I've raised a ticket, but don't know exactly what domain records I need to create.
At present, once step 1 is done, what will the A and CNAME records I need to create look like?
Thanks for any more help you can provide.
Adam1V
Grafter

you can use the same database for many applications such as wordpress etc.
most applications allow you to add a prefix e.g wp_tablename
that way when you wish to delete wordpress laterdown the line, you can drop all the wp_tables
I managed to isntall wordpress myself, but it was a royal PITA.
MeMeMe
Grafter

That's a relief.
Tech support helped out with the domain issue and all is now working.
Prod_Man
Grafter

Sorry MeMeMe,
I was away at a Gig [ BloodStock 2008! ]
So, I couldn't reply without paying rediculous Money,
just to use 2nd rate looking Laptops in a Tent just to one side of the side of the Main stage Tongue
Glad it sounds to be all up and going!
Sorry that some of my Instructions were a bit rushed.
I need to write a decent set of Tutorials on my Website to save me time Copying things out again,
which will be freely readable on my Website (Mainly to prevent missleading information):
1. Setting up CMS's Wordpress, PHPNuke
2. Using PuTTY (UNIX Command Line) and WinSCP.
I believe you CAN get http://blog.domain.ext/ to work.
It would have to be done, via some devious Scripting and Domain Setup inorder to allow it to work as you want it.
/blog/*
/website/*
/index.php
index.php

<?PHP
if($_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"]  == "blog.domain.ext"){
include("blog/index.php");
}else if($_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"]  == "www.domain.ext" || $_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"]  == "domain.ext"){
include("website/index.php");
}
?>

This will depend entirely upon weather the Links Wordpress creates are dependand upon the root,
it just depend how it has been made...
Hope that helps.
Jim,
MeMeMe
Grafter

Hi again Smiley
That looks a little tricky for me, but it's okay - I have changed my mind about the layout, and I'm happy with what I've got so far.
Thanks for your earlier response - I wouldn't have got there without it.