cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homepages Webspace allowance

The_10th
Grafter

Homepages Webspace allowance

In light of the recent webspace issue I was wondering what people's views were on the size of the allowed webspace that Plusnet offer.
The new range of BBYW products means that up to 5 free domains can be hosted as well giving just 50MB per domain in theory. Is this enough especially  since a lot of services/websites aren't just plain HTML anymore?
My feelings are that 500MB isn't unreasonable and one PN referee I know wishes PN gave more space.
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
klyne
Grafter

Re: Homepages Webspace allowance

I asked a question about webspace a little while ago. In fairness to Plusnet of all the ISP's they do have quite a generous amount of webspace. Unfortunately there is no flexibility and this has forced me to look elsewhere for web hosting. Its a great shame that Plus Net don't offer more space at a small extra monthly charge without the need to go to web hosting or perhaps include 500mb of space in the top option like they do with the pro version. Unfortunately the pro account is no good to me. Eventually I got a good deal with Streamline which cost around £30 a year for 750mb of space and included the domain name.
David
Spider
Grafter

As far as I am aware it is only the Business product that offers 500Mb of webspace. With regard to being able to add additional webspace / bandwidth to the BBYW products, think it is a good idea but would expect it at an additional cost. Currently Plusnet offer 250Mb webspace / bandwidth, plus the hosting of 5 domains for free (or it is included in the price calculations?) and I wonder if some amalgamation with their hosting business could be arranged?
glyndev
Grafter

For me 250Meg webspace and 5 domains is adequate. Its the daily data transfer thats the problem.
I have found two ways of aleviating this little problem. One is to sign up for a free account and place images on that. the other is to place videos on youtube or similar and then embed the vid on a page.
Be3G
Grafter

I believe one of Ian Wild's projects is sorting out a revamp of PlusNet web hosting (à la the new VoIP thing they're trialling)... no-one's really mentioned anything much about it, but Ian has said that it's on the cards, I believe for some time this year.
decomplexity
Rising Star

I have the same issue as Devonports: the daily webspace usage allowance. Webspace disk capacity used is under my control, but controlling the hit rate by others is not. One site of mine has a relatively high hit-rate peak each November and I have to temporarily turn off a couple of the sexy features (yip - Flash) in order to avoid PN disabling the site. And this is a pretty amateurish way to run any website.
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
Not applicable

Quote from: Spider
As far as I am aware it is only the Business product that offers 500Mb of webspace.

Yep, and as a business user I have no use for the 500MB of webspace - its important for us to have our site hosted at a dedicated hosting centre, rather than relying on a 'value added service' which with the best will in the world will always play second fiddle to PNs core business of providing web access.
I'd prefer to save £1 per month (for example) and have no hosting at all (or email for that matter for similar reasons)
On the same basis, I could see a purpose for me having more webspace for my own bits and pieces I upload from my personal account.
The downside I imagine with charging for webspace (and traffic to webspace) is that it implies some sort of guarantee of reliability.
Perhaps once the change to the new hosting platform is completed, PN will have a system resilient enough for them to be able to offer this with a clear conscience.