cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Webserver - Setting up DNS Help..

iandw

Home Webserver - Setting up DNS Help..

I have set up my home webserver using windows 2008 and can see the websites from my side of the fence.
When I attempt to log on via the internet, using my domain name, it looks at though the page simply times out.
If I ping my domain name from an external machine I get the IP address of my static line. My domain name is hosted by another company say XZY and I use their name servers NS1.XYZ and NS2.XYZ with my Static IP address, is this correct, or do I have to point to Plus nets name servers etc to get service?Huh
I have turned off firewalls & setup port forwarding on my router, but can't see my sites from the internet.
Any suggestions/hints would be appreciated on how to get www.adhereo.co.uk to work..
Thanks in advance Ian..
4 REPLIES 4
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Home Webserver - Setting up DNS Help..

Your Domain www.adhereo.co.uk is pointing to www.ianwhittaker.plus.com you need to go to:
> Portal Logoin with your Password & Username.
> Domain names
> Domain Name: www.adhereo.co.uk
> Configuer
> Configuer DNS Records
> Create a new DNS record for www.adhereo.co.uk
Left field put: home
Type put: A
Right field put: Your Router IP Address
In your Router you will need to point it to your Servers IP Address.
And last of all you will need to wate 24 hs for all the DNS Servers to catch up.
I hop this helps
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Did you realise http://ianwhittaker.plus.com points to your router?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
iandw

Thanks for the replies so far, but I still can't figure out the DNS side of it. My domain name is hosted by Fasthosts and I am using their DNS nameservers.
I have simply pointed their DNS Host name to my static ip provided by Plusnet. I don't want to transfer my domain name(s), as I have other domains at Fasthosts
(and plus net charge more for theirs!!). Plus net appear to have a DNS option, but as I said it appears I would I have to move registrars..
I didn't realise the adhereo.co.uk domain is pointed to ianwhittaker.plus.net, so I suppose this is down to Plus.net DNS system?Huh
Can anyone tell me how they have setup a hosted website from home, using plus net (& static ip) or should I look for another ISP?? 
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The address I gave isn't working which suggests that you have a problem with your router/firewall/webserver. (ianwhittaker.plus.com is responding to pings)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)