cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Domain DNS

djohnsonmorris

Home Domain DNS

I am not new to computing, nor am i new to domains. But i am new to DNS.
I have a home domain network, with DNS, Mail & Lync
these are all .local.
I have a domain through plusnet of .co.uk
both the .local and .co.uk are the same name. I need the .co.uk to resolve to the .local so that i can access my lync and mail externally.
How do i do this?
Thanks in advance  Smiley
5 REPLIES 5
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: Home Domain DNS

In the members centre (or portal) go to domain names and click configure for your domain listed there. You then get to a page where you can set custom DNS entries.
Left field you can enter "mail" or "lync" and in the right field you put in your static IP provided by PN. Repeat again for the other, and that should do it.
That will give you a link of "mail.<yourdomain>.co.uk" that you can use from elsewhere on the net.
That's RPM to you!!
djohnsonmorris

Thanks for your reply.
I have multiple servers in my home network, will i still be able to use this method?
Do i have to do anything on my home DNS server?
RPMozley
Pro

Nothing to be done with your DNS server, these changes are for outside anyway.
It's possible to use with multiple servers, you just need to set up the correct port forwarding rules for each particular service or device (on your main net facing router).
That's RPM to you!!
djohnsonmorris

Thanks for your help,
although im still not quite sure how i would configure my router to do this.
Basically i want lync.domain.com to go to lync.domain.local
I have sent lync.domain.com to go to me static IP, but what settings would i need for my router.
If it helps there is an online emulation of my router here http://www.tp-link.com/resources/simulator/TL-WDR3600/Index.htm
RPMozley
Pro

First things first is to find out what ports the lync system requires for outside access or if it uses UPnP to open things up. After you've got that info you can have a go at port forwarding.
That's RPM to you!!