cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed - anyone remember the free domain hosting offer of 2007?

FIXED
disfroot
Rising Star

Re: Help needed - anyone remember the free domain hosting offer of 2007?

I'm also a long-standing Plusnet member and took up the free domain offer.

Can someone at Plusnet please check to see why I am being charged £1 per month for my domain now ?

just ploughed through my old invoices ( which I never look at) and this started in October 2010. From that point onward there appeared a new item

Generic Included One Pound Domain charges   £1

and the invoice was £1 more than the previous month (£18-49 up from £17-49 in September 2010)

I've also just done a Nominet lookup to find the date of first registration of my domain and it is

Registered on: 2x-Jun-2007

the time of the offer. So I appear to have been charged in error to the sum of £82 to Jul 2017.

The things you spot, eh ?

merlin1
Dabbler

My domain was registered on 22 June 2007 and has recently been renewed to 22 June 21019.  I have seen no charges and I changed to FTTC some years ago

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@disfroot

It looks like you've 2 domains with us, one of which is free of charge.

Digging into this a little deeper, it doesn't even look like one of your domains is still registered or hosted with us. Did you ever transfer the domain ...d.co.uk out to another provider or remember when it stopped working?

Cheers,

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
disfroot
Rising Star

Hi Anoush @Gandalf,

Let's try this again - I posted a reply, but it vanished

I had two domains in 2007 - I now have one. You system still lists two for some reason.

The first one (ending in *****d.co.uk) I had from May 2007 (before the Spam incident) and never used. I used the Member Cente Domain control panel to stop renewal of this domain shortly after the free domain was issued to me. You stopped renewing this one years ago and it expired. It is still listed on my control panel, but I have no idea why; I just ignore it.

The second one (ending in *****i.co.uk) was offered as lifetime-free after the spam incident and was registered with Nominet on 27 Jun 2007. This is the one that I use and that you renew.

You need to stop charging me for a free domain and you need to reimburse me the amount you have overcharged.

I can only estimate this as a minimum of £82, because your online invoices only start to itemise charges from October 2010 onward -the point at which it becomes obvious that you are charging me £1 a month for a domain.

It would also be nice if you could resolve why you are showing a domain for me that I set to expire through the member centre CP years ago and now, after a period of being unallocated, I find today belongs to someone else.

Thanks !

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Previous attempt was grabbed by the Spam Filter. I have released and removed it as you have posted again..successfully.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've raised a request with our database team to retrieve the archived tickets from 2007.

Once that's done we'll be in touch.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
disfroot
Rising Star

@Gandalf

Thanks, I don't mind waiting for your facts for the amount of overcharge, but please action before next month's renewal to stop another month in August !

It's sort-of obvious what has happened here. The domain ending in *****d.co.uk started to attract a charge at some point. I set it to expire at another. You carried on charging me £1 a month even after I had set it to expire.

We can argue about those dates, but there is still the fact that the domain doesn't even belong to Plusnet any longer, yet you still have it listed against my account and, I'm guessing, this is why you continue to raise the spurious £1 charge every month.

You can put a stop to that today !

Thanks !

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I wonder how many other users have been erroneously charged for their domain renewal?

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@disfroot

Absolutely, I've sorted that out so you won't be charged for it moving forward.

Once the tickets from 2007 are unearthed, we'll work out a refund.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
disfroot
Rising Star

Hi Anoush @Gandalf

Thanks for acting so promptly on that.

I've just e-mailed Nominet for access to my historical WHOIS data for the domain ending in d.co.uk, as they prevent anyone else storing this info.

I may have to FoI them if they drag their heels, but I'm sure they'll come up with the goods as an independent 3rd party.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

If Nominet provide you with that info, can you attach a copy/screenshot to this ticket?

https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=154770836

Cheers

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
disfroot
Rising Star

@Gandalf

absolutely will do - as long as their fee (if any) for providing the info is significantly smaller than the likely refund I am expecting ! otherwise fiscally perverse to pay to see it 😞

disfroot
Rising Star

@Gandalf

when you get your data back, perhaps look at Question number 30983361 - dated 29 Nov 2009

I only have your reply - which is

Thanks for your query. I can confirm that only one free domain was offered as part of the webmail data problem. On your account this appears to have been *****i.co.uk. Your other domain would require payment for renewal i'm afraid.

You'll be able to provide the question I asked in the Help Assistant, but I'm guessing I'm asking about why I'm being charged for the ********d.co.uk domain as it must have come up for its first 2-yr renewal after being free for the first 2 years.

tried to attach this to the ticket you mentioned in a previous post, but I can't see any way of finding the ticket from the Member Centre - nowhere to go from https://www.plus.net/help/ that's for sure.

disfroot
Rising Star

@Strat

that's an odd spam filter you have there - as you can see, my first post was almost identical to the one that wasn't vanished

What in it looks even remotely like spam ?

Good job I was angry enough to type it out all over again - others would have been discouraged, I'm, guessing.

Now I know to type my replies into a text editor first, then cut-and-paste into the forum. That way I can re-post 'vanished' items until the cows come home !

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@disfroot wrote:

when you get your data back, perhaps look at Question number 30983361 - dated 29 Nov 2009

I only have your reply - which is

Thanks for your query. I can confirm that only one free domain was offered as part of the webmail data problem. On your account this appears to have been *****i.co.uk. Your other domain would require payment for renewal i'm afraid.

You'll be able to provide the question I asked in the Help Assistant, but I'm guessing I'm asking about why I'm being charged for the ********d.co.uk domain as it must have come up for its first 2-yr renewal after being free for the first 2 years.

Thanks for the question number, that's perfect! Whilst the ticket is no longer showing on the face of your account, I've just searched the accounts system with the reference number and it's locked on to the ticket.

Leave this with me, I'll work out a refund and get back to you.

@disfroot wrote:

tried to attach this to the ticket you mentioned in a previous post, but I can't see any way of finding the ticket from the Member Centre - nowhere to go from https://www.plus.net/help/ that's for sure.

You can view your tickets here: https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?p=search

It's under Useful Links on the Member Centre

@disfroot wrote:

that's an odd spam filter you have there - as you can see, my first post was almost identical to the one that wasn't vanished

What in it looks even remotely like spam ?

The spam filter works in mysterious ways.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
disfroot
Rising Star

@jelv

In my case, I don't think PN have been charging me for my free domain. They have been charging me for a domain that I had on a time-limited free deal when I signed up, even though I successfully used the Member Centre domain tool to set it not to renew after the deal had expired. That's down to some freak database glitch by the looks of things; one system let it expire, another carried on charging me.