cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needd - I can't publish my web site...

RoxyNet
Dabbler

Help needd - I can't publish my web site...

Hi there,
    I'm afraid I'm a newbie to web site publishing - so please be patient. I have created a few pages in Frontpage but when I try to publish them I get the following error:
Unable to open http://fp.roxynet.plus.com
Severe error: The web server at http://fp.roxynet.plus.com does not appear to have Windows Sharepoint Services Installed.
Possible causes:
1: The web server may not have the Frontpage Server Extensions installed.
I have checked that I have activated FP Server Extensions and all seems ok.
Does anyone have an idea where I'm going wrong?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
30 REPLIES 30
samuria
Grafter

Re: Help needd - I can't publish my web site...

do you use the same username and password that you use to logon to the portal? Are you with plus net or F9?
Have you done anything clever with the page that may be the problem as the error speak of Sharepoint?
Try a very simple single page and see if it will accept that
mbeenham
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi,
I have the same problem. According to the help desk:
"We currently have an open problem (ID 47632) with new Frontpage activations. Our development team are currently investigating this and we hope to have an update for you shortly."
Since it is a priority 2 problem there is no visibility so I am keeping my website in my normal webspace using ftp to publish for the time being. No FP extensions of course, but not a major issue for me.
Don't waste time trying to fix it - you can't. Just raise a question with the help desk - they may go through a rigmarole of "resetting" your fp web space a couple of times....
RoxyNet
Dabbler

Hi, thanks for your responses. I have tried publishing a single page and this still does not work (I'm using Frontpage 2003). I will log a call with Plusnet support and see what happens.
Thanks for your help,
Andy.
peterbarker
Grafter

I have exactly the same problem and can't get my site to load with FP (which I could with my previous ISP). 
I then downloaded and installed cuteFTP,  but that would not connect either.
However, I then found a message reply in my questions "Sent 'auto_refresh' signal to component #11443868 (Generic 250/250 Webspace)"
So I tried again.  FP was still no go.  However, CuteFTP seemed to work.  It uploaded all my site into a folder called htdocs.  Unfortunately, I still cannot see my site when I try to view via Internet Explorer. 
So I wonder whether:
~ uploads take a time to refresh or
~ whether CuteFTP has not uploaded properly or
~ my site is a FP site and because of the FP problems it will not display properly.
Peter
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

3rd option is the most likely problem if you are using the FP extensions.
As indicated earlier, there is an open problem with FP so I suggest you also raise a problem to see if you are affected as well.
peterbarker
Grafter

Good news.  I have managed to upload my site with CuteFTP. 
To start with it did not display because somehow CuteFTP or PlusNet host inserted its own index page.  When I replaced that with my own index page all was well (apart from some coding with cross-references to my previous site location, which I need to edit)
However, I want to be able to use FrontPage both for FP extensions to work properly and as my upload programme so I will follow up through My Questions. 
Thanks for help and suggestions.
Peter
RoxyNet
Dabbler

Hi again,
  Just to let you know the plusnet support have escalated my issue as they too have found there to be a problem. I'll let you know the outcome.
Thanks for your interest.
Andy.
RoxyNet
Dabbler

Hi, me again...
    I too have managed to upload my webpages via ftp (using Frontpage to ftp). Unfortunately as one of the pages is a frontpage form it warned me that this would not work as Frontpage extensions were not working. I have been told that they are working by the support folks so maybe here lies the problem.
ho hum,
Andy.
mbeenham
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

This seems to be going round in circles.
The problem is the support folks who do not know frontpage support is not working for new activations.
I am waiting patiently for a resolution to the problem I opened on 30th January.
Meanwhile normal webspace works fine, but no frontpage extensions of course and no support for publishing from frontpage except by ftp.
Hopefully if enough people report the problem it will be upgraded from priority 2 to priority 1.
peterbarker
Grafter

Quote from: RoxyNet
Hi, me again...
     I too have managed to upload my webpages via ftp (using Frontpage to ftp). Unfortunately as one of the pages is a frontpage form it warned me that this would not work as Frontpage extensions were not working. I have been told that they are working by the support folks so maybe here lies the problem.
ho hum,
Andy.

What settings do you need to upload via FrontPage FTP?
i.e.  Remote web site location? and FTP Directory?
Thanks
Peter
RoxyNet
Dabbler

Hi,
    When you click on 'Publish site' in Frontpage click on the ftp radio button and add "ftp://ftp.plus.net/htdocs" is will then ask for you username (i.e. roxynet) and your password. You will then be presented with an ftp type screen.
Click on "Publish Site" on the right hand side. If you have any pages that use FrontPage extensions (like forms) then these will not work - this is why I have the outstanding support call with plusnet.
Hope this helps,
Andy.
peterbarker
Grafter

Andy
Many thanks for that.  It works, but I had to set FP to "Use Passive FTP".  Of course, I got the warning messages about Front Page extensions not being available.  Hopefully, FP Extensions will be available soon with resolution of the open problem ID 47632
Peter
RoxyNet
Dabbler

Angry FRONTPAGE EXTENSIONS ARE STILL NOT WORKING!!!!!  Angry
Each time I request an update from PlusNet support they put it on hold and for a further week. This is ridiculous. Why is it taking so long? If my empoyers support took this long our customers would soon go elsewhere.
Come on PlustNet, get it fixed!
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Or... don't use frontpage extensions.
There are many ways to achieve the same and often better by writing it yourself or using ready made javascript / CSS functions. Not only will you learn much more about web development but you will no longer be reliant on  proprietary web servers and your website will be much more portable should you leave in the future.
Frontpage on Unix has stopped being developed and is actively discouraged by Microsoft now which is yet another reason for not relying on it.