Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Need a fibre connection.

Pete1001
Hooked

Help! Need a fibre connection.

Hi

I was getting 10mbps fibre but swapped to BT because they guaranteed min 52mbps. BT couldn't actually improve on 10 and decided to cut me off for 4 months so I had no BB at all. Eventually they connected me to a copper connection, 1.5mbps which is what I'm getting now. I am desperate to get back onto fibre.

Openreach say there is ongoing work at cabinet 19 which is the cab I should be connected to to receive 52mbps. According to Openreach I do run through this cabinet but an order can't be placed with them for fibre because their website still says 'ongoing works at cabinet 19'. This has been going on for several months. 

I've spoken to 6 engineers all working at cab 19 who say if I run through that cabinet (which I do) then there's no reason why I can't be connected. It's crazy to know that I could easily be connected but an order can't be placed until openreach update their website!

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Help! Need a fibre connection.

Is your ADSL service still with BT? Getting just 10Mbps when you were previously connected to fibre suggests you are a long way from the cabinet, does entering your phone number at www.dslchecker.bt.com confirm that you are connected to cabinet 19 and give any fibre availability information?

David
Pete1001
Hooked

Hi David

Thanks for your response. I came back to Plusnet. I was originally connected via cabinet 8 when I was getting 10mbps on a fibre connection. The adsl checker confirms I'm now connected to cab 19 which half the distance away and only mentions ADSL. My neighbour, also on cab 19 is getting 35mbps as are others nearby. Cab 19 is a new fast fibre cabinet and others are being connected to it, but not us.

The problem has arisen because when I was with BT they connected me to ADSL just to provide basic broadband as a temporary measure. But because Openreach won't update their website to show fibre is available at cab 19, means an order can't be placed by Plusnet sales for a fibre service. 

Pete

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Overcoming "the computer says no" can be tricky. Sad

It's possible line cards in the new fibre cabinet are being gradually added with existing slots fully allocated.. More will be on their way reflecting the "ongoing work"; hopefully before long free slots will become available and the checker should reflect that.

Often the advice is to keep your eye on the dslchecker and jump in when it says "yes". The availabilty check done by ISPs is fed from the same database.

Has this new cabinet been aded as part of the BDUK process with local councils (often called "superfast <region name>"? Just wondering if they have any information on roll-out timescales?

David
Pete1001
Hooked

Yes, the new cabinet was funded by 'Superfast Dorset' and they have weekly meetings with Openreach to try and resolve this and other issues. This was the latest update:

'I spoke with our Openreach contact this morning and he said that your neighbours who are getting a superfast fibre service probably already had a fibre service before the work to the network in your area began. He added that while it is undertaking the work to the network Openreach puts a stop on any new fibre orders being placed.'

It's very odd that not one of the 6 engineers I've spoken to who was working at cab 19 are aware of any 'work' needing doing. 

He's correct in saying my neighbour probably had fibre already. I used to be on fibre before BT cut me off and connected me to ADSL, so surely it must be possible to reconnect me as our line runs through the cabinet. 

Do you know anyone I could approach in Plusnet to look into this who could place a stop order, a reprovide, then expedite it? It seems the sales teams hands are tight to what the computer says?

Pete

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Sadly the reality is that everyone is tied to what the computer says. At the moment that means new fibre orders can't be placed and that will apply to migrations and new services. If anyone tried to force an order onto the system the computer would probably reject it at the next stage.

Whilst you had a fibre service at one time from cabinet 8 you are no longer connected to that cabinet and the fibre circuit you had there might well have been reallocated.

From Superfast Dorset you've established there is currently a stop on new fibre orders. Can you find out from them when that is expected to change? Also perhaps if they are recording expressions of interest on a fibre upgrade?

David
Pete1001
Hooked

Superfast Dorset say that Openreach have scheduled more 'work' on cab 19 today. 

Won't hold my breath, rather just keep visiting dsl checker! Guess there's nothing more I can do.........

Thanks for your comments on this post, you've been very helpful.

Farrinaf
Grafter

This may be a "dead" thread (and my suggestion may be a dead end) ... but if you go to the Think Broadband forums here

Think Broadband Fibre and post your issue Mr Saffron (Andrew Ferguson, one of the site founders) appears very knowledgeable as to the general picture and seems to have inside access to BT people.

The chances are this will change nothing, but it may give you more accurate up to date information and timescales

Regards

Alan