Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hacker from plustnet / BT broadband technical team

Amina78
Hooked

Hacker from plustnet / BT broadband technical team

Hi,

my internet signals are dropping continuously therefore i have decided to leave plus net. however, i have a call from so called plus net technical service to fix my internet.

It appears people are using plus net data to hack people data. I have received a called from so called "BT open reach", asked me install this software then requested to log in to bank account. They are stealing my information via your software/service. People had very strong indian accent, misusing this software and they were disparate to get more information.

clearly it appears to be fake call. can you please let me know:

how did they get information about me having issue with internet? is there information leaked from your service - can you please confirm if my and all the customer data is protected?

secondly, what i need to do to ensure they have not stolen any of my data from computer?

if any one can help and give suggestion then it would be great

5 REPLIES 5
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Hacker from plustnet / BT broadband technical team

These scam calls from Indian based scammers, often with spoof caller id's would have been
received no matter who is your phone provider. Ignore their spiel. If you have time to spare,
engage them as long as you can to waste as much of their time as possible.
I let them waffle on then blow my Acme Thunderer whistle to hurt their ear drums.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don’t worry about this @Amina78 they didn’t get any information from Plusnet it is just pure speculation on their behalf. If they phone enough people, then the law of averages says they'll encounter a user with a genuine issue, and as coincidence would have it they called you.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@Amina78 wrote:

Hi,

my internet signals are dropping continuously therefore i have decided to leave plus net. however, i have a call from so called plus net technical service to fix my internet.

It appears people are using plus net data to hack people data. I have received a called from so called "BT open reach", asked me install this software then requested to log in to bank account. They are stealing my information via your software/service. People had very strong indian accent, misusing this software and they were disparate to get more information.

clearly it appears to be fake call. can you please let me know:

how did they get information about me having issue with internet? is there information leaked from your service - can you please confirm if my and all the customer data is protected?

secondly, what i need to do to ensure they have not stolen any of my data from computer?

if any one can help and give suggestion then it would be great

They have no personal information about you, unless you have given it to them yourself.

The calls are dialled automatically in sequence - they have no idea who you are. You just answered their call.

What I do if called, ignore them and just put the receiver down. NOT on hook, just down on the table besides the phone and walk away. Eventually they will hang up and your phone will time out. At which point simply put the receiver back in place.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Everything Else 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi,

Did you install any software that the bogus Openreach or plus net engineer asked you to? This should be uninstalled with urgency.  If you have a tech savvy friend get them to check over the computer for anything suspicious.

If software has been installed check your bank account for any new payment instructions that may have been setup.

Dan