cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gzip/DEFLATE Disabled in CGI Web-Space?

virnuls
Dabbler

Gzip/DEFLATE Disabled in CGI Web-Space?

I just made some changes to my web-site and ran the GTMetrix test on a page for the first time in a few weeks.  I noticed that my score had decreased; the reason being that Gzip compression wasn't enabled.
I'm pretty certain that it used to be, and I've checked my .htaccess file (and even tried some alternatives), and everything seems to be OK.  Does anyone know whether this feature has been disabled on the servers?  Obviously a lot of users now have mobile devices, so I'm not happy about my pages getting three times bigger.
5 REPLIES 5
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Gzip/DEFLATE Disabled in CGI Web-Space?

Quote from: Andrew
I just made some changes to my web-site and ran the GTMetrix test on a page for the first time in a few weeks.  I noticed that my score had decreased; the reason being that Gzip compression wasn't enabled.
I'm pretty certain that it used to be...

When was the last time you checked?
Edit: Although glancing at some old phpInfo() output I can see:
HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING 	gzip, deflate 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: Bob
Edit: Although glancing at some old phpInfo() output I can see:
HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING 	gzip, deflate 

Isn't that from the request headers and not the configuration?
The request headers I send (according to Apache) include
Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate

but GTMetrix suggests a need to "Enable gzip compression". (on the server)
David
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Listed under 'Environment' and 'PHP Variables'. You're right that it's not listed as a module.
Andrew, if you raise a support ticket, we can ask the question of Hostopia if you like?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

virnuls
Dabbler

Quote from: Bob
When was the last time you checked?

Thanks for the replies - I'll try a support ticket; it might be an oversight, I suppose.
I'm pretty sure that it was working earlier this year.  I did some tests for "mobilegeddon", checking that my site was mobile-friendly in the eyes of the new Google algorithm, so it was probably around that time.  GTMetrix was showing full marks for everything except "Using a CDN" and "Using a cookieless domain", and PageSpeed Insights was also giving me a higher score than it does now.  I'm not sure what the cookies are for, either, but they don't seem to have a big impact.
I was wondering whether they'd upgraded Apache and there was a newer syntax, but the code in my .htaccess file comes straight from the Apache site.
virnuls
Dabbler

I've finally had a reply to my question - it seems that mod_deflate was disabled for security reason.