Did you mean: 

Google are marking my website as not secure so I need a SSL Certificate

FIXED
royt
Hooked
Fixes: 1

I have read Plusnets (PN) SSL security guide on the PN website and it would appear that PN do not allow users with their own domain name to use SSL certificates hosted on their servers. Can anyone confirm this is the case and if so will I have to get it hosted by someone else.

6 REPLIES 6
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Google are marking my website as not secure so I need a SSL Certificate

Your assumption is correct I'm afraid. We don't offer the ability to install SSL/TLS certs for your domain.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

royt
Hooked

Thank you Bob for your reply.
What do plusnet need to tranfer the domain to a new host?

My website has been hosted free of charge with my broadband package. Its a small property *.co.uk website of about 60mbs in size and has about 400 visits per month.

Would anyone like to recommend a hosting service.
Are the free hosting services worth using or is it a case of you get what you pay for?

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

I currently use EUKhost.com and you get https protection on your domains. I pay £30 per year, but will be downgrading this year as my sites have shrunk in size.

Mark

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@royt, we'd need the IPS Tag of the new domain registrar. Note that this would effectively move your email hosting away too. One solution to that would be to have your new host forward emails for your domain to the underlying .plus.com address.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

royt
Hooked

Fix

Just want to say thank you to my helpers for your help.

As a newbie it took a while and was a steep learning curve to sort this out but finally got there in the end.

My new host setup for my website is with eUKhost with automatic SSL certificate attached which was all that I needed. Lots of the hosting sites offer the free SSL certs included so it was just a case of choosing the things I needed from the hosting site and going with that. I didn’t need much so went with a basic shared hosting package for my setup.

My two websites are still registered with 1and1 but have been pointed to the server on the new hosting site. This means at the present time I don’t need to change the IPS tags but might do that later.

With a shared hosting package I now have a main domain with a addon domain. Both work the same to so the user but there is a difference behind the scenes.

I now know more about FTP accounts, cPanel, Email accounts and Google forwarding loop problems, public_html folders and the list can go on but like I say I got there in the end.

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

It's fun learning and you can do so much more with your own space on a shared server Smiley