Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaining access to my ccgi space

firkin
Grafter

Gaining access to my ccgi space

Hi
I need to clear a few files from my ccgi space but can't gain access like I used to using the command prompt. Is there a way of removing files and/or rearranging files using the command prompt?
12 REPLIES 12
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Gaining access to my ccgi space

Command prompt access to webspace (homepages and ccgi) was disabled a long time ago for security reasons. You need to FTP to the webspace to make changes.
FTP access to ccgi webspace is available only from a Plusnet connection.
David
firkin
Grafter

Thanks for the reply. I've tried to remove the offending folders using my ftp program (cuteftp), it comes up with 'you don't have the necessary permissions to move this folder'.
Is there any way I can remove this folder without closing down my ccgi space?
Thanks
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I assume the folder owner is your username and group cgiusers? Does the folder containing the one you want to delete, the folder itself and any of its subfolders have file permissions (chmod) set to 710 or 750?
David
firkin
Grafter

The cgi-bin folder was and is set at 710, the folder inside, which is empty, was set at 750. There was another folder inside the ccgi-bin which I chmoded to 755 and that was removed. I tried 755 on the other folders with no joy.
Yes the folder owner is in my name, well I assume it was because although I didn't put it there iappeareded after I had tried to move my site.
The site was a full installation of WordPress with quite a few plugins using my own skin. Everything was working great for over a year, the problem started when I tried moving the site using a WordPress plugin called WordPress Move
Probably messed everything up but still doesn't account for the fact that I can't remove folders from my ccgi-bin.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Are you sure the folder you want to delete really is empty - no hidden files like .htaccess inside it that CuteFTP is set not to show? However I wouldn't have expected that to result in a permission denied message. Are you able to rename the folder?
I've never tried moving a site using WordPress Move. I suspect that might result in file and directory permissions being messed up. Perhaps too late now but have you tried Gabe's script here for sorting those out?
David
firkin
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
Are you sure the folder you want to delete really is empty - no hidden files like .htaccess inside it that CuteFTP is set not to show? However I wouldn't have expected that to result in a permission denied message
Fairly sure that the folder is really empty.
Are you able to rename the folder?

Yes I'm able to rename the folder/ folders.
I think I just messed up with the Wordpress move addon. Many thanks for your efforts in trying to resolve my problem.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Your reply needs an end-quote tag '[/quote]' after the second line of my first quote. Tongue
Since you can rename the folder the system must be happy for you to write to its containing directory. In which case I can't think of any reason why you shouldn't be able to delete the folder if it is empty. Huh
Perhaps Plusnet Networks staff need to take a look at it.
David
firkin
Grafter

Your reply needs an end-quote tag '[/quote]' after the second line of my first quote. Tongue

Since you can rename the folder the system must be happy for you to write to its containing directory. In which case I can't think of any reason why you shouldn't be able to delete the folder if it is empty. Huh
Perhaps Plusnet Networks staff need to take a look at it.
firkin
Grafter

Quote from: firkin

So sorry .. I messed up I'm afraid
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Not to worry, finding ones way amongst the various buttons can be tricky.
What was needed to correct quoting in your reply #6 was to click the Modify button on the right hand side of reply #6 then add the markup text shown in red below
--------------
[quote author=spraxyt link=topic=99761.msg845106#msg845106 date=1320520950]
Are you sure the folder you want to delete really is empty - no hidden files like .htaccess inside it that CuteFTP is set not to show? However I wouldn't have expected that to result in a permission denied message[/quote]
Fairly sure that the folder is really empty.
(no need to change remaining text)
--------------
... then click the Save button to store the modified post.
David
David
firkin
Grafter

Hi David
My site is still on the PlusNet server and it seems I can acces all the folders and sub folders. So I thought I'd try moving it once more to the new domain Unfortunately I may have messed with the permissions and that could be causing the fault.
If I remember there was a chap who wrote a script that one could run which reset all the permissions to the correct ones, I've had a scan around the PlusNet site but can't find it. Would you know where it is and if so would I be able to use it to reset my permissions?
Thanks
John
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Yes, I assume you are referring to the script I linked in Reply #5:
I've never tried moving a site using WordPress Move. I suspect that might result in file and directory permissions being messed up. Perhaps too late now but have you tried Gabe's script here for sorting those out?

Put that script in your ccgi root folder called setperms.cgi, set its permissions to 0700 then browse to it. All folder, *.php, *.pl and *.cgi file permissions should be set to the recommended values.
David
David