Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G.fast

Paulkoumi
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

G.fast

Is plusnet going to eventually provide this? As a household we rely on using the Internet I would say we're a heavy user currently we use unlimited fibre -extra.

The street does not have fttp only fftc only "JUST NOW" found information on G.fast. BT can provide me with fibre 100 which more than likely go for... the faster the better, right?!

So back to my original question plusnet, g.fast yes or no?
10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: G.fast

@Paulkoumi 

I would put money on Plusnet simply having nothing to announce at the present time.

Would you gain anything from a 1000 Mbps service depends on what you get now and what your bandwidth  requirements are.

There’s no point in paying more for a faster service if you don’t use it, apart from bragging rights.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

@Baldrick1  GFast is only up to 300Mbps.

@Paulkoumi  PN currently don't do FTTP or GFast, and their billing system seems to struggle with coping with what they do offer. I suspect the BT bean counters have cut the purse strings, and are preventing PN from delivering anything other than the basic products.

Will they offer it - may, but don't hold your breath!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Mustrum

It was a typo. I was referring to the 100 Mbps speed referenced by the OP and must of had a stutter on the 0 key.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Paulkoumi
Dabbler

We will definitely use it! Getting fed up of trying to stream something on the firestick and having to wait for the swirling loading logo to stop and play the thing I am watching
Mustrum
Community Veteran

How is the Firestick connected?

Which router and firmware version?

It should not buffer, so I would be looking at the cause, not extra speed.

Paulkoumi
Dabbler

WiFi plusnet hubone

Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 Last updated 22/06/19
Mustrum
Community Veteran

Then you may want to have a look at this thread Re: Hub One - 5GHz WiFi issue - Page 132 - Plusnet Community

An upgrade may help - or a better router. Many favour a BT Hub 6 - easy intructions on the router board to input username and password.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

We've said this before but I'm afraid we've no news to share with regards to if or when we'll be offering G.Fast or FTTP. I suspect though we'll more likely be offering FTTP sooner than G.Fast although I appreciate that doesn't help you. 

(Disclaimer: this isn't confirmation we'll ever offer them, but personally I hope we do)

Also I've tested your line today and the tests aren't showing any issues with your router getting a download speed of around 77.8mbps and upload of 20mbps so realistically you shouldn't really be having issues streaming.

Can you try changing the wireless channels within your router's settings to try to resolve the issue? I've included some steps below if you're unsure how to. There's some information here https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-boost-your-wi-fi/ba-p/1450193 with regards to why you might need to do this.

1. Go to the router's homepage at http://192.168.1.254
2. Click on the Advanced Settings tab
3. Type in the admin password found from the back of the router and click the OK button
4. Click on the Continue to Advanced Settings button then the Wireless tab
5. From here you'll be able to change the wireless channel.

It's generally a case of trial and error, changing one channel and retesting to see how it goes, but if you download a wireless analyser app available on the Google Play store, you should be able to find out which channels are least being used.

It may also be worth carrying out the below steps to make the 5GHz wireless network visible. By default this is merged into a single network name that your devices see, so your router will automatically connect your devices onto whichever frequency that it believes is best, whether that'd be the 5GHz or the regular 2.4GHz wireless but sometimes it's better to manually choose which one to use.

By carrying out these steps, you should be able to manually connect your devices on to the 5GHz wireless network which is generally faster and doesn't succumb to interference in the same way as the 2.4GHz network.

1. Go to the router's homepage at http://192.168.1.254
2. Click on the Advanced Settings tab
3. Type in the admin password found from the back of the router and click the OK button
4. Click on the Continue to Advanced Settings button then the Wireless tab
5. Click on the 5GHz Wireless tab
6. Select No next to Sync with 2.4GHz
7. Change the name of the Wireless SSID to something different
8. Click the Apply button and wait for the change to be applied

I've attached the test results below if you're interested:

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID [redacted]

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 77.8 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 392.8
Upstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Very Good
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream traffic detected
Technology VDSL
Current 15Min Bin Retrains 0
Last 15Min Bin Retrains 0
DP Type External
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream 3dB, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2021-02-19T19:45:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 77.8 Mbps 78.2 Mbps 78.0 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 20.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps 20.0 Mbps
Up Time 2.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 886.3 Sec
Retrains 0.0 2.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2021-03-04T19:12:41Z 2021-03-04T19:27:41Z
Ingress Code Violation 2 2
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Paulkoumi
Dabbler

I've ordered a second hand BT HH6 fftc refurbished off eBay yesterday its in the post. I've read good things about it off this forum after reading people have issues with 5g (which I also have)
Paulkoumi
Dabbler

Turning off the option in 5g to not shared and changing ssid to a different name just made both connections unavailable to connect to the Internet. I had to restore back to factory settings to get my connection back. 😆

Roll on to homehub 6 when it comes 😛