cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fully Digital (with VOIP) vs Analogue Fibre

ezplanet
Dabbler

Fully Digital (with VOIP) vs Analogue Fibre

Back in February I posted a thread to rant about the way Fibre was provided in the UK which is by sharing the analogue line with the phone via a splitter, thus reducing the overall bandwidth capacity. In other countries fibre is 100% provided as a digital line with a VOIP phone.

It turns out that the issue was not with the UK nor BT (since PlusNet uses BT infrastructure), but with PlusNet itself!

I just found out that in fact BT provides FTTC also as what they call a 'DIGITAL' service which means no splitter, copper 100% dedicated to broadband and the voice service provided via VOIP.

Why I do not see this been offered by PlusNet?

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Fully Digital (with VOIP) vs Analogue Fibre

@ezplanet 

You seem to imply that FTTP is generally available, If only this was the case!

Plusnet do not offer it at the moment for it's own undisclosed reasons. No doubt that when it's widely available and other budget providers add it to their products then Plusnet will join in.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Do they really provide FTTC that way, or have you just discovered FTTP?
A very different product.
ezplanet
Dabbler

I know the difference with FTTH (or FTTP, I don't know why Brits always have to be different when the rest of the world calls it Fibre To The Home).

It appears they offer also FTTC fully digital with VOIP like in Italy, at least this is what I discussed one hour ago with a BT sales team member. Unless they got it wrong...but I was very clear with my questions and her answers were clear too.

DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@ezplanet 

You seem to imply that FTTP is generally available, If only this was the case!

Plusnet do not offer it at the moment for it's own undisclosed reasons. No doubt that when it's widely available and other budget providers add it to their products then Plusnet will join in.

I'd guess the OP is referring to Openreach's SOGEA product, though I wasn't aware BT are actually selling/offering it as an option yet though.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Tibzor
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 25

Hi @ezplanet 

If you are talking about BT Digital Voice Trail - Plusnet is currently not part of this trail and scheme for same reasons as for any other new and expensive technology in UK like FTTP - We are a budget provider.

We will be offering same service once it will be cheaper, tested and available for everyone.

Based on BT plans, they aim to finish the upgrade by 2025. Technology itself is not yet prepared for every customer. If you have special services, such as a monitored burglar alarm or health pendant, you won't be able to have Digital Voice just yet.

Hope that helps.

-Piotr