cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full fibre to Yorkshire market towns + COVID-19 working from home = PLUSNET still dithering?

tstaddon
Rising Star

Full fibre to Yorkshire market towns + COVID-19 working from home = PLUSNET still dithering?

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/business/openreach-reveals-26-places-region-receive-full-fibre-29276...

Within two years many of these locations will have access to full fibre, fully subsidised. I think I'm in the area. Is there even the remotest chance that PN will give a clear steer on their FTTP roadmap?

It does seem a bit daft that even when these towns are practically on the doorstep of PN HQ, the firm still seems to have no clear plan around FTTP. Especially when you consider that by 2023, if nothing significant changes, a vast number of customers are going to be working from home on a permanent basis.

I've gone from being perfectly happy to bimble along on 17mbits/sec with an exchange-only line 5 years ago to finding 50mbits/sec a bit limiting during this lockdown, and in 6 months time I expect I'll need 120mbits/sec at the absolute bare minimum.

3 REPLIES 3
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Full fibre to Yorkshire market towns + COVID-19 working from home = PLUSNET still dithering?

@tstaddon 

What evidence have you that Plusnet have no plans?

I accept that whatever plans they may or may not have are not being made public.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Full fibre to Yorkshire market towns + COVID-19 working from home = PLUSNET still dithering?

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
tstaddon
Rising Star

I didn't say they have no plans, I said they need to give people a clear steer on what plans (if any) they do have.

I'm now working remotely, full time, and there are no plans to go back to office commuting. And the rest of the family is experiencing the exact same change. The broadband has been hammered by box-set streaming and gaming for longer, because on top of four people trying to work over it we're at home all day every day instead of all being out for 6+ hours.

The PN router couldn't cope with the wifi load of that, so I swapped that over with a BT hub, that couldn't cope either so I repurposed a second router for segmented wireless networks. I ran out of gigabit network ports on both routers so have put in a 12 port gigabit switch, and cat-6'd the whole house...

And that's despite us postponing smart home and IoT investment, and opting into streaming services that we're not yet subscribed to. Which is why, as a customer who's been with Metronet and Plusnet for over 15 years because I've been personally very impressed with their service, I'd really like to know if PN wants a slice of the FTTP action.

There's no real reason for them not to - the VDSL service is as good as it gets and switching ISP won't make any significant difference unless it's to FTTP. But if they really aren't planning to do FTTP at all, they're going to lose customers as soon as FTTP becomes more widely available.