Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full capacity at cabinet.

FIXED
Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Full capacity at cabinet.

I wanted to make 2 referrals for fibre but couldn't. Person on the 'Chat' said cabinet is at full capacity.

Can anyone tell me how long the wait is for space to be available please? 1 of them has just moved on to the street and wants fibre (40/2 package) with tv and line rental for her work (she's a carer).

Another question that came up while I was typing this is..if the cabinet is full, is it possible for me to upgrade from 40/2 to 80/20?

or is that another wait for a connection to get the speed? Sorry for asking but I'm not sure how the connections work.

Thanks for any answers.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
12 REPLIES 12
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Re: Full capacity at cabinet.

Fix

Good Evening, 

When a Cabinet is at capacity this is due to the Fibre connections from the exchange to that cabinet being used(or at the very least registered as in use) within the BT Wholesale systems.

Capacity can be free'd up by other connections being ceased or if more equipment is added to the cabinet or in some cases a new cabinet is added besides the current one depending on how much room inside is available.

Unfortunately we do not get advised of potential wait times for this to clear up as it is a BT Wholesale decision to add more capacity to areas based on the demand they see, in some cases I have seen this be a matter of days, others I have seen take up to a year at the worst end of the scale. You can keep an eye on capacity being made available here: http://dslchecker.bt.com

In regards to a speed upgrade, as you already have a Fibre connection and a line connected, an upgrade can be provided as this does not require any extra physical work and is a settings change on the exchange side of things and on our side.

If you want to know anything further or want to discuss this in more detail just let me know Smiley 

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

Thanks for the info, it helped a lot.  Thumbs_Up

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Pete11

You could try your phone number in the CodeLook website. Follow through to the Exchange and then "All Fibre Cabinets" and see what it says about your cabinet.

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

It might, just might, say something about additional capacity due xxx

Note that the BT Wholesale Broadband Dataset that the site uses is dated 20th July so it's a couple of months out of date.

Brian

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

Followed that link and here's what it says...

FTTC Available from 4th August 2012, being expanded by April 2018, some with 18/2M product   Phase 08a 2012  

So it might take a while before anyone else round here gets fibre. Shame really when customers are wanting connections.

bmc
Hero

At least you have confirmation more capacity is being planned. The April 2018 date should be taken as guidance and nothing else.

Regular checks should be made in case a port becomes available or the new capacity comes online sooner than expected.

Brian

Pete11
Seasoned Pro

@bmc wrote:

Regular checks should be made in case a port becomes available or the new capacity comes online sooner than expected.

Brian

Already planned on doing just that. Thumbs_Up

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

@bmc Useful site at it shows that my cab was installed as part of BDUK Dorset but the location is really badly adrift (completely the wrong road and post code)

bmc
Hero

The site has the following disclaimer

"The map shows green circles for the general area of each cabinet or exchange link, not the specific location of the cabinet"

As far as I'm aware no site has the exact location of cabinets listed.

Brian

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Not quite - it gives the Post Code and it isn't correct but I suppose if it is approximate and is just a central location for the properties served by the Cab then that sorts it

bmc
Hero

@Oldjim 

If you click on the link for a cabinet it'll show a list of the post codes served by that cabinet. Without checking I'd guess the post code shown on the main list is the first for each cabinet.

Brian

Oldjim
Resting Legend

It isn't so I think my assumption is a better one

bmc
Hero

Yes, I'd agree the map just gives a central or general  location for a cabinet.

I've just checked mine and four cabinets that I know to be on the main road are shown within the streets concerned. However on the main list of cabinets the post code shown for mine is the first post code alphabetically of the five served by the cabinet.

Note also on the list of cabinets the post code column has a header of "Approx Post Code"

Brian