cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Fibre - Do I have to leave PlusNet after 8 years of great service?

ablearcher
Dabbler

Full Fibre - Do I have to leave PlusNet after 8 years of great service?

Hi All,

Just saw a highway maintenance crew laying ropes so OpenReach can pull fibre cables and install fibre manifolds outside each house on our road. From what I understand this means I will have the option to have full fibre to my door which is a service I would be very interested in.

However it seems that only BT will offer this (i.e something like Fibre 100 which will be more  than double the average speed I currently get on my currently get with my Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra).

I have just been asked by PlusNet whether I want to renew my contract early for a slightly better deal in terms of cost by for 18 months. I'm now thinking of canceling it (as still well within the 14 day grace period) and jumping ship to BT.

Does Plusnet have any plans to offer full fibre? Will probably cancel renewal on Monday unfortunately and let the existing contract naturally come to its end, unless of course PlusNet will offer full fibre in the near future of course!

Anyone else in a similar predicament?

6 REPLIES 6
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Re: Full Fibre - Do I have to leave PlusNet after 8 years of great service?

@ablearcher 

Check the following to confirm that FTTP is coming to your address. Despite visible work being done there is no timetable as to when it will be available - it could be a few months.

https://www.openreach.com/

PlusNet do not currently offer FTTP so you would have to leave. Several ISP's offer a service with perhaps BT and Zen being the most known for consumers. Both Sky and TalkTalk are currently doing a "soft" launch for FTTP.

Brian

ablearcher
Dabbler

@bmc 

Thanks for your prompt reply. Probably safest option is to cancel the renewal and let my existing contract come to an end then make a decision.

bmc
Hero

@ablearcher 

You could let your contract run out and then go onto the standard monthly deal - probably would cost more but only 30 day notice period with no penalties.

Brian

dgp
Rising Star

I am in same boat although have been with Plusnet a lot longer. Openreach currently installing FTTP on my road and they told me go Iive in September. It’s a real pity Plusnet don’t have a FTTP offer.

Leapy
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 3

It's a real shame, but I'm starting to feel that way too 🙄

I'm on Plusnet Fibre Extra and BT already offer their 100, 300 and  900mbs options and I'm struggling to get a down 50mbs and my 20mbs up is limited to under 10mbs.

I even had to buy a new BT Hub6 to improve the 40mbs to 50mbs and the 7mbs up to 8.5mbs. Plusnet offered to sell me a replacement One hub for £99.99 as they didn't think it was faulty (which it was).

It seems it's not just the FFTTP offer, but just getting a good version of Fibre Extra is a challenge.

bmc
Hero

@Leapy 

At least there's now a bit of choice over FTTP providers. Apart from some smaller ISP's you have BT and Zen with an active service and Sky and TalkTalk currently doing a "soft" launch.

Brian