cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frontpage access disabled 28/08

derekmines

Re: Frontpage access disabled 28/08

There's a good reason for that............... I am an eejit!!
Thinking back, I took the form off during the last re-write.
OK, that's cool. Do you have some instructions for how to transfer the site?
aaronbennett
Dabbler

Quote from: derekmines
[...] confirm if having the contact form re-written in PHP would mean that I can leave the hosting with Plusnet.

For any other users with a contact form, our shared formmail handler will do the job with (usually) minimal changes to your html:
http://www.plus.net/support/webspace/cgi_php/cgi_scripts.shtml#1
I am happy to assist anyone who requires this modification if you raise a ticket marked for my attention.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: derekmines
OK, that's cool. Do you have some instructions for how to transfer the site?

There's some basic instructions here Derek. If you have any difficulties then feel free to raise a ticket here and I'm sure Aaron will be happy to help you out.
Quote from: jelv
Could someone take a look at 30000551 - you might want to stop that happening!

That should be sorted now jelv. For the benefit of others it was the ability for customers to activate the FrontPage service if they haven't already. The only people who can see the FrontPage icon in the Member Centre now are those with the service already activated.
Quote from: Pazzer1
I'm in a similar position but would have liked the chance to update the existing site in the meantime. I've read all the posts and followed the links but not been offered temporary access as expected, only a list of files which PN would copy back to me.

If you raise a ticket and upload a copy of the html pages you want to replace on your FrontPage site then we should be able to do this for you without having to grant you access to the platform. Try to be as clear as possible about what you want to replace with what though if that makes sense?
Quote from: bourtonvale
yes but the screenshot is of the previous website uploaded to Frontpage server.  I tried to put a version on the home page server but despite it saying it was uploaded, only the frontpage server version is there.  The one I want to have on the homepage server should have a last modified date of 20th Sept written at bottom right hand corner of each website page.

Loidis' advice in the post here seems pretty sound to me.
BTW, I should have some news about the possibility of pointing the fp.username subdomain to the Homepages webspace tomorrow...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

keithf

Just as a clarification, because I'm not sure it's been made crystal clear:
1) If you use FrontPage to create web pages in html (like I do, because it's easy), but upload them to [tt]www.username.plus.com[/tt] (a.k.a. [tt]./htdocs[/tt]) then you won't be affected. It's only if you use the [tt]fp.username.plus.com[/tt] (not sure how to get there via ftp  :-[) area that you will be affected by this.
2) The security vulnerability is a big deal for all of us. If Google detects a website that has been compromised anywhere in [tt]xx.xx.plus.com[/tt] then it may well block the entire domain name from being accessible via the search engine, and if you use Firefox, then that will also prevent you from proceeding. This would have a far greater impact on web traffic than losing the odd [tt]fp.username.plus.com[/tt] link and having to retask, and affect everyone who uses PlusNet Webspace.
I think PlusNet have done the right thing. It may be a pain, but using proprietory server-side functions has always been a risk - especially considering how clunky FrontPage is in general.
Cheers
K.
AndyBude
Dabbler

Hi question for Aaron re forms - you've helped a lot by reworking the contact form on my site (ticket 29947107 ) but the frontpage site had a "Thank you" page after form submission which confirmed the users basic details (e-mail and/or address) but this doesn't work now.  Can it be made to or should I drop this page?
I did post this request on the ticket but it got picked up by someone else who (as so often seems to be the case) doesn't appear to have bothered to read the rest of the thread and simply responded that you (plusnet) can't help code my website. 
Andy
ramidoodle
Grafter

Hi,
AndyBude if your email form is on the ccgi-space then you can use a nice flash email form like this  Wink
Quote from: keithf
1) If you use FrontPage to create web pages in html (like I do, because it's easy), but upload them to [tt]www.username.plus.com[/tt] (a.k.a. [tt]./htdocs[/tt]) then you won't be affected. It's only if you use the [tt]fp.username.plus.com[/tt] (not sure how to get there via ftp  :-[) area that you will be affected by this.

yup, if you are ftp-ing to ftp.plus.net then your are not affected.
btw frontpage uses http to upload and download files not ftp so you can't ftp to fp.username.plus.com. another way for MS to be different lol although http is slower than FTP.
Quote from: keithf
2) The security vulnerability is a big deal for all of us. If Google detects a website that has been compromised anywhere in [tt]xx.xx.plus.com[/tt] then it may well block the entire domain name from being accessible via the search engine, and if you use Firefox, then that will also prevent you from proceeding. This would have a far greater impact on web traffic than losing the odd [tt]fp.username.plus.com[/tt] link and having to retask, and affect everyone who uses PlusNet Webspace.

Open DNS warns and block website with malware. Google is way too weak compared to how proactive opendns is. I've tried to use obfuscated script trojan for testing and it got detected straight away by OpenDNS. Google failed to notify me and started downloaded the page, but avast anti virus aborted the connection.
Checking the page using google, reports its ok to browse to. although the report is saying 1 trojan found! http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=thedomainyouwanttocheck.co.uk
if a website got blocked, it wont take a long time to get it reviewed by Google through their webmaster review request tool.
Google or StopBadware.org can only block a webpage if it is infected. blocking an entire domain will cause them more trouble than peace of mind Cheesy
Pazzer1

I found 38 possible FP hosting sites while on holiday here in California.  Using Frontpage, I have uploaded a test page to a free account with "X10hosting.com" and the hit counter is working fine."  X10Hosting.com" give you 500MB space with their free account.(I still can't understand how PN let me get away with 1.4GB over the years!)
I like my static IP with Plusnet and the guys at the coalface, so  am unlikely to move to Talktalk or Sky etc. but my faith is lost and this PN/FP handling saga will make a fine case study for a University business management course.
mal0z
Grafter

I found 38 possible FP hosting sites

Yes - but how many of these companies will keep the facility for more than a few months - do you know their secret business plans ? - do their servers have the same security issue that caused PN to do what they did ?
Remember FP is obsolete - best to move on...........
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Using Frontpage, I have uploaded a test page to a free account with "X10hosting.com" and the hit counter is working fine."  X10Hosting.com" give you 500MB space with their free account.

According to their website they also offer:
[quote author="x10hosting"]
  • 500MB Disk Space
  • 10000MB Monthly Transfer
  • cPanel and custom Account Panel
  • GD Library Installed
  • FTP Access, Webmail & POP3
  • HTML, PHP, ASP.NET, CGI, Perl, MySQL
  • Addon, Sub, and Parked Domains

Quite impressive for free. Makes you wonder how they make any money Wink
Registered an account to play around with but am yet to receive my activation email because my mail provider has greylisted the sending server Roll_eyes
Client name or IP address greylisted
  1 T root@jackmunch-production.x10hosting.com 09:29:29          unknown[74.63.225.107]  jackmunch-production.x10hosting.com

The registration process sure is convoluted too!

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Pazzer1

Quote from: mal0z
I found 38 possible FP hosting sites

Yes - but how many of these companies will keep the facility for more than a few months - do you know their secret business plans ? - do their servers have the same security issue that caused PN to do what they did ?
Remember FP is obsolete - best to move on...........

Mal0z, Sorry for the delayed reply. Just back jet lagged from the 'land of the free' (hosting sites).
Can't get any worse than denial of FP Service from PN was. I'm only looking for a few months FP use 'till I can re-build with non legacy tools. Having had updating access denied for two weeks plus, I needed a temporary location to quickly restore my FPsite. Aaron's .tar.gz unpacked like a dream, to give me a fully functional 440MB FP site again. Without this I would have been left with the equivalent of an old newspaper dated 21 August 2009. I have Expressions Web and Dreamweaver but maybe a three month learning curve.
Re: Security, it makes you wonder. All these U.S. FP Servers are still in business with no hint of problems. Maybe PN is more nervous for historical reasons having had mailservers compromised or it could be a good excuse for advancing their new Business Plan. If PN's FP Server only had 200 active users - that's only, say,  £30,000 annual income. It probably costs more than that to support the FP Server.
X10hosting.com runs Linux & lets you switch on the server side tools on an individual user basis. Could be this reduces the probability of a general security breach.
mal0z
Grafter

It's not for me to defend PN's quite action to close what they perceived to be a serious threat.
But pleased you have found a temporary home for your sites elsewhere.
I don't have MS Expression although I hear it is quite good. i have Dreamweaver and yes - to use it well takes time - in my view and that of many experts I've read - to get the best out of Dw and Expression - it's really a good idea to learnt html/css
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Slightly off topic - this link needs correcting to say - you can't tough  Grin
http://www.plus.net/support/webspace/setup/frontpage.shtml
Pazzer1

Quote from: Bob
Using Frontpage, I have uploaded a test page to a free account with "X10hosting.com" and the hit counter is working fine."  X10Hosting.com" give you 500MB space with their free account.

According to their website they also offer:
[quote author="x10hosting"]
  • 500MB Disk Space
  • 10000MB Monthly Transfer
  • cPanel and custom Account Panel
  • GD Library Installed
  • FTP Access, Webmail & POP3
  • HTML, PHP, ASP.NET, CGI, Perl, MySQL
  • Addon, Sub, and Parked Domains

Quite impressive for free. Makes you wonder how they make any money Wink
Registered an account to play around with but am yet to receive my activation email because my mail provider has greylisted the sending server Roll_eyes
Client name or IP address greylisted
   1 T root@jackmunch-production.x10hosting.com 09:29:29          unknown[74.63.225.107]  jackmunch-production.x10hosting.com

The registration process sure is convoluted too!

Bob,
I had no problem quickly registering two ID's, but I was in California at the time.
People say 'don't use free hosting' but I can't see a catch here. (Other than you have to access it 'once a fortnight'.  x10hosting have three servers, one dedicated to free hosting. You only see branding in error messages and bizzarely they only put advertising on the paid-for sites.  Did you look at the cPanel tools? If PN had had that, it would have shown me I'd got 1.4GB on my old PN FP site when the allowance was only 250MB!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yeah, I have had a look around the cPanel tools. Seems impressive for a free service and similar to what's offered on our Pay As You Host platform (minus of course the FrontPage extensions). I'll probably point customers here if they *really* don't want to wave goodbye to FP extensions however I'm not going to do that in any official capacity as I don't know enough about the company.
From 10-15 minutes of playing around, it seems like a good find though...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

steed
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

We are looking to decommission the service on or around the 15th October 2009, and we'll send you another email once everything has been switched off.

Is this still the intention?
Quote from: jelv
Isn't it just the case that every frontpage site needs replacing with a .htaccess file that rewrites fp.* with www.*?

Any news on whether something of this sort is being put in place so any visitors clicking on a link http://fp.mywebsite.plus.com will be directed to http://www.mywebsite.plus.com and also indivducal pages http://fp.mywebsite.plus.com/instructions.htm to http://www.mywebsite.plus.com/instructions.htm ?
Edit: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,79726.0.html