Did you mean: 

Frontpage access disabled 28/08

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Frontpage access disabled 28/08

Afternoon guys,
As loathe as I am to be the bearer of bad news for some, I'm afraid we've had to disable editing/publishing access for the Frontpage servers. Hopefully it's not going to impact too many of you as there have only been about 200 websites updated during the last few months.
The following has just gone out to Service Status:
[quote author="Service Status"]Emergency Frontpage server maintenance -  Friday 28th August 4.30pm
When's this work happening?
Today.
What does it affect?
Access to our Frontpage web servers -
http://www.plus.net/support/webspace/setup/frontpage.shtml
How long will it take?
About fifteen minutes.
What does the work involve?
We are disabling access to our Frontpage servers whilst we investigate a recently identified problem with the platform. The servers will be inaccessible for the duration of the weekend and we will provide another update next week.
Is it likely to cause problems?
Yes, customers who have websites hosted on our Frontpage servers will be unable to connect to the servers to make alterations to their websites.
Is there anything else I need to know?
Any websites hosted on the platform will still be visible using a web browser. This means that visitors can access customers' hosted websites as normal.
Kind Regards,
Bob Pullen
Customer Support
I don't know eh? It's all quiet on the web hosting front and then two things come along at once Roll_eyes
We'll have more details surrounding both platforms after the bank holiday...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

127 REPLIES 127
stonechat
Grafter

Re: Frontpage access disabled 28/08

I only found out when I tried to push out a small update
Bob
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Not sure if you're already aware but you can subscribe to receive Service Status updates via either email or RSS.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Springfield

As one of the 200, using frontpage servers for an active school site which we use to give stuff to our students, I do hope this is resolved quickly with the new school term upon us
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

But why are you using Frontpage?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Springfield

I know, I know, I am not proud of the fact.
I am not a techie - long time ago I started using FrontPage cause it was there - wanted the odd form and some other stuff which seemed to only work with server end FP stuff.  Have now moved to Expression Web (still not proud of that) and guess that still needs the FP server for forms.  Thing is I constantly update site with things for children in school - I am familiar with how to do this and I haven't got time for a new learning curve.  I am open to advice and suggestions!
adie:quote
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Latest update follows, we hope to have an email out to all you Frontpage folk over the coming days:
[quote author="Service Status"]Access to Frontpage servers (57821) - UPDATE
This is an update to last week's emergency maintenance post about our decision to disable editing and publishing access to our Frontpage web hosting servers.
Access to the servers is still disabled whilst our engineers continue to investigate the problems that were identified last week.
You will still be able to view your site using a web browser but will not be able to upload any new files or edit any existing content.
We are currently conducting a thorough review of the platform and will communicate our longer term plans for the service over the next few days.
Kind Regards,
Bob Pullen
Customer Support

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Springfield

"We are currently conducting a thorough review of the platform" - um - doesn't sound good, sounds as if support for FP may be withdrawn
Meanwhile we have not been able to update our school website (which is used as a learning platform) for a week.
"will not be able to upload any new files or edit any existing content." - maybe you should tell the support person  at PlusNet who said I could use ftp that if I did so it would break the FP extensions
adie:quote
steed
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: stonechat
I only found out when I tried to push out a small update
Bob

The same with me.
Just went to do a small update to find access disabled.
forum

I run a community website. Before today the information in the Service Status was insufficient. It says time to fix "15 minutes". Plusnet's approach does not fill me with confidence nor am I inspired by the lack of urgency and importance in the tone. Is there a hidden agenda here?  I need to make urgent updates. The FP facility was a major attraction to this ISP. I will be forced to abandon front page and if that happens I will consider my options with other providers. A shame after several years!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The15 minutes was a guideline on how long it would actually take our networks team to do the work required to disable the access and not meant as a timescale for getting it fixed and back up online.
To be completely honest, Frontpage is outdated and Microsoft have removed support for it too I believe. As Bob says we'll get an email to the Frontpage userbase soon explaining exactly what's going on.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

That's the problem with proprietary standards.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

mal0z
Grafter

I don't know how easy it is to update sites made with Frontpage - by using MS Expression Web - available as an upgrade for £97 ?

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/expression/products/Upgrade.aspx
Springfield

I am using Expression Web but it seems to me (and I could well be wrong) that to use things like forms Expression Web still needs to be published to a server with FPE?
dick:quote
steed
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Chris
To be completely honest, Frontpage is outdated and Microsoft have removed support for it too I believe. As Bob says we'll get an email to the Frontpage userbase soon explaining exactly what's going on.

I don't really use any of the Frontpage extensions now and just use Frontpage as an HTML editor, and it is easier to manage the websites.
So the main concern is the web addresses and links on the site that are indexed on the internet (for the past 8 years), and that if PlusNet decide to drop the service then all these links would become dead.