cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Front Page web design problem

teebee30
Dabbler

Front Page web design problem

My personal web site is designed and published using Front Page 2000. Sixty pages and over 400 photos.
But it sits 'left aligned' on the screen and I would like to have it centred, as seems to be the modern trend with most sites.
Most of the text and photos are placed in Tables at around 85% width.
Can anyone tell me, please, how to achieve this in FP i.e. to have white space margins to the left and right. Can it be done in FP?
Home page can be viewed at  http://www.risepark.plus.com/index.htm if this makes the problem clear
Plain English answers please, as I am not much of an expert in these matters and need the automated options !!
6 REPLIES 6
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Front Page web design problem

The page as a whole is centred, with an width of 100% making it occupy the whole width of the browser window. What makes it look like it is off to the left is that the content starting with "Rise Park Estate, Nottingham NG5" is in a separate table sitting inside the main one, and it is set to align left and 85% width. If you set that width to 100% it will fill the whole window. I don't use FP so can't give you detailed instructions on how to do it that way, but hopefully it will be simple enough.
If you want a fixed width centred page then do as above, but also set the width of the main table to a fixed number of pixels instead of 100%.
teebee30
Dabbler

Thanks for checking Denzil. I had deliberately set the table to 85% to make block of text less wide and easier to read.
What was hoping to do is to get a blank margin down the left of the page i.e to the left of my Navigation bars, so as to make the whole page appear to be balanced / centred. Doesn't seem to be any way to do this in Front Page though.
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I 'm taking you don't know any html / css then ?
As it is really easy to do that with a few bits of code.
It's years since I used FP,  but do you have a template that designs all pages ?
If we gave you a bit of code - could you put it where we said ? - it might need to be on every page if there is no template facility.
learning some html and css makes these sorts of problems Soooo much easier.

Denzil
Grafter

It would be very easy to do what you want by editing the html code, but, as I said, all you need to do is set the width of the main table to, say, 950 pixels and it will be centred in the browser window.
If you want to keep it a fluid width i.e. not fixed but  resizing with the window, you could get the effect of centring by adding a blank column in the main table to the left of your navigation buttons. Set the width of this column to say 10% to start with, then play with the figure until it looks right.
Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

well if you just add the <div as below under the body tag
<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000" link="#666633" vlink="#996600" alink="#993300">
<div style="margin:0 auto; width:720px;">

and almost at the bottom
and the </div> immediately before the </body> tag
</div>
</body>

change the width:720px to suite.

teebee30
Dabbler

Many thanks for all the the suggestions and, yes, I'm not very "well up" on html css, though have already made a few additions / amendments to it e.g. inclusion of Hit Counter!
Seems likely that it would be possible to do what I was wanting, but that FP does not include an easy and automatic 'one click' option
Having considered things in light of all your suggestions, I think I will play safe and adopt the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" approach
Thanks for your replies