cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freenetname/Madasafish domain has not renewed - Loss of E-Mail for Days - Support Unable to Assist

FIXED
FedUpTotalise
Hooked

Freenetname/Madasafish domain has not renewed - Loss of E-Mail for Days - Support Unable to Assist

I had a domain from Totalise.co.uk, that transferred to Madasafish, that transferred to PlusNet.

Although I have been paying for it monthly for years, PlusNet seem to have expired it in March 2019, and it is now in suspended status on 'Whois' searches. Since I haven't needed to maintain it for years, Plusnet seem to have removed all access for me to access control panels, etc, to try and regain it. Given that I route all my mails through that domain name, I have lost access to all of my mails. This seems a dreadful omission for a serious service provider.

Ideally, I want the domain renewed to continue my mail access , but at the very least, allow me to transfer it to another provider, so I can start to trust that it won't just be terminated again without warning.

The support desk I contacted were very friendly, but seem to have not a clue what I was talking about.

I've seen on this forum that this has happened many times before.

Please can someone in the know look into it? 

What informtion is needed to progress this? (I don't want to post the domain name here, in case I need to wait 90 days to try and get it back when it goes to the open market)

26 REPLIES 26
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Freenetname/Madasafish domain has not renewed - Loss of E-Mail for Days - Support Unable to A...

Sorry to hear this.

I'd have expected you to have received a notification 90 days before the domain expired to advise it was due for renewal soon. I can see you got in touch with us over the weekend and we've raised a task with a back-end team to renew it.

Due to the bank holiday the task hasn't been picked up yet but it should be within the next 24 to 48 hours.

If you want to move your domain away from us, you'll need to provide the IPSTAG of your new provider either by calling us on 0800 432 0200 or sending me a PM and I'll be happy to call you back to arrange this.

Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak) corrected typo

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Re: Freenetname/Madasafish domain has not renewed - Loss of E-Mail for Days - Support Unable to A...

Fix

@FedUpTotalise, I can confirm your domain has now been renewed for 12 months.

Let us know if you have any further issues.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
FedUpTotalise
Hooked

Many thanks.

It was a frustrating time, as I route all of my mail traffic via that Domain, but I am pleased to say it seems to be fixed now.

Going forwards, I will probably look to migrate the domain to another provider, where I have a dashboard to be able to see and make changes, and SLA for responses, but for now, I really appreciate your assistance to get this addressed.

Ian.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem Ian and sorry again for the delay in renewing it.

I'll reply to the private message you've sent shortly regarding moving your domain away.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
richard1483

good evening

I appear to also be suffering from the same problem  ... my old freenetname > madasafsh domain does not appear to be accepting mails any longer - my email richard@[Removed].co.uk stopped working today 

can you check if the domain has lapsed ?

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from a public forum (to an area that staff can see).

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @richard1483, I'm sorry to hear this.

I'm struggling to find the account the domain would have been connected to previously. Could you drop me a PM with the username for this account.

Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482
Moved:

colbrad
Grafter

Re: Freenetname/Madasafish domain has not renewed - Loss of E-Mail for Days - Support Unable to Assi

Hi,
I've just received an email from Nominet claiming my domain originally registered with Freenetname then Madasafish / Plusnet has expired. I use this domain for my website & email and did not receive any notification this was about to expire. Can someone please advise how to proceed urgently as Madasfish website has no details and not sure where to look on Plusnet account. Thanks
Colin

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Re: Freenetname/Madasafish domain has not renewed - Loss of E-Mail for Days - Support Unable to Assi

Hi @colbrad,

I'm very sorry that you didn't receive a notification to let you know that your domain was about to expire. I can see that you have now discussed this with an advisor over the phone and they have raised a task to our network operations team to get your domain renewed and back up and running as soon as possible.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
colbrad
Grafter

Thanks for replying @EmilyD Yes I spoke to tech support and hopefully the domain is being processed for renewal, I'm awaiting confirmation.

In the meantime could I ask if Freenetname / Madasafish domains should be showing up within Plusnet 'My Account' or is it still tied into the old Madasafish technology? It would make managing the domain much easier if it was within My Account.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us Colin.

I can see your domain has been renewed for a further year and it'll expire on the same day as it did this year. While I'd expect you to receive an email reminding you to renew it, it may be worth keeping a note of the expiry date somewhere.

Unfortunately domains hosted on a Madasafish account can't be accessed via the Plusnet account however we can move a domain across from a Madasafish account to a Plusnet account. This will mean that the domain can be set to renew automatically and you'll be able to see the domain in the My Account section of our website.

If you'd like to transfer the domain across I'd need to call you back just to confirm you're happy to go ahead and that there may be a bit of downtime (Normally 24 to 48 hours) while we carry this out.

Feel free to let PM me the best contact number to get you on and the best time for a call if you do want to go ahead.

I hope this helps.

Moderators Note: Clarification edit at staff members request.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jofster

Hello all, two years down the line from my last expiry and I've just had the dread email from Nominet that my ex-Freenetname domain has expired. @Gandalf did the magic last time around, could I ask for your help in getting it renewed again?

colbrad
Grafter

Hi @Gandalf thanks for confirming the domain has been renewed. I've made a note of the renewal date.
Regarding the transfer to Plusnet, this is something I’d asked about previously and was met with a straight no. Before I go ahead could you confirm if anything will change and some additional details around:
* webspace amount
* email access details
* continuing to host my own domain
* any additional costs?

I previously paid a monthly charge to Madasafish for the domain / email access and this ceased around in October 2016. Would there be a cost as from some of the information I’ve read it appears that Plusnet customers received their domain / webspace / email as part of a package. Is this correct?

Thanks

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hiya @jofster Welcome back it's been a while. I've raised a task to our NetOps team to renew your domain which should be done within the next 3 working days. It's probably worth giving you a heads up that I believe we're starting to renew them for 12 months at a time now but the good news is that the renewals are now free of charge with no monthly cost.

Hi @colbrad thanks for getting back to us. As far as I'm aware there are no plans to stop registering/hosting domains, providing webspace(For Madasafish accounts the amount is 100MB) or an email service. I believe that certain Plusnet/Force9 customers who signed up back in the day may have a webspace allocation of of 50, 100, 150, 250 or 500 MB. We also only offer domain services to accounts signed up prior to 5th December 2017.

We removed fees associated with our domain, email and webspace services for all our brands (Plusnet, Madasafish, Metronet etc) in September 2018 although it looks like we stopped charging a lot sooner, however I can't see the reason behind that due to how long ago it was. I'm sure if any of the above changes we'd let you know beforehand. 

I hope this helps.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet