cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forwarding Domain from plusnet to goDaddy

user1471

Forwarding Domain from plusnet to goDaddy

Wondering if anyone can help me. I have a domain which is hosted on plusnet, I wanted to use wordpress with this domain but later found out this wasn't possible, I have now made the site on godaddy with a slightly different domain. I would like to forward my plusnet domain to my godaddy domain, I thought this would be quite straightforward but after speak to 4 different 'technical' advisors I still don't know what to do.

If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Forwarding Domain from plusnet to goDaddy

Quote from: user1471
Wondering if anyone can help me. I have a domain which is hosted on plusnet, I wanted to use wordpress with this domain but later found out this wasn't possible

Why? You have access to our CGI servers so it should have been possible.
Quote from: user1471
I have now made the site on godaddy with a slightly different domain. I would like to forward my plusnet domain to my godaddy domain, I thought this would be quite straightforward but after speak to 4 different 'technical' advisors I still don't know what to do.

You'll not be able to point the name servers of your Plusnet domain to godaddy without transferring the domain out. Another couple of option include implementing a framset redirect or using a .htaccess rewrite.
If you don't mind the address being rewritten to the godaddy one when somebody browses to your Plusnet domain then you could create a file containing the following text:
Redirect 301 / http://godaddydomain.tld

Upload it to the /htdocs folder of your webspace and rename the file to .htaccess (note the dot at the front of the file name).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

user1471

Thanks for your help, I had the Domain Hosting Settings set to 'other' as I was pointing this domain to tumblr (which I don't want to do anymore).
I changed this back to default, but when I log in with my ftp details using FileZilla I don't see the domain, can you give me some guidance on what to do so I can see the domain to upload the .htaccess file to please? It's been 24 hours since I made this change.
Many thanks
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

You have a few domains hosted against your account. To avoid confusion can you message me with details of the domain it is you're referring to?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

user1471

Bob I sent you a message with the domain name, can you confirm if you have received this please?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Got it, taking a look now...
Edit: That's been sorted for you now. I've pointed the domain back to Plusnet and set up a 301 redirect to the Godaddy domain.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team