cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First website help please

richardauld

First website help please

We have designed a website using a package and now want to upload it toour webspace on Plusnet. I understand how to do this but we also have a domain registered to us with GoDaddy.
Do we need to have the domain avalonleadership.co.uk moved to Plusnet for this to work? or is there some forwarding or pointing setup that needs to be invoked?
We're not technical so apologies if this is too basic.
Richard Huh
6 REPLIES 6
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: First website help please

There are two (three?) ways to do this.
1.  Have your DNS records point to a framed or unframed redirect. 
This involves asking GoDaddy to point the domain to your www.xxxxx.plus.com address.  This is the least favoured route as it can "look" unprofessional from a customer point of view
2.  Transfer your entire domain into Plusnet.
This would mean you incur Plusnet's domain charges bi-annually, which are very expensive.
3.  Use Plusnets DNS-Only hosting  ** PREFERRED **
Within the GoDaddy control panel, you should be able to set the DNS servers.  You need to follow this procedure:
a)  Change the DNS servers to NS1.FORCE9.NET and NS2.FORCE9.NET your domain and email are likely to be offline from this point
b)  Raise a ticket on your account, requesting a DNS-Only inward domain transfer, detailing your domain name this may take up to 4 hours
c)  Configure your domain records to point your www and email to the relevant hosts
You then need to wait up to 48 hours for this information to propagate around the internet.
The advantage of using Option 3 is that GoDaddy retain the domain itself, and thus you pay their substantially cheaper registration fees bi-annually.  However, complete domain control is within the Plusnet network, and you will be able to host your website on the Plusnet servers very easily.
Hope that helps, but please ask if you have any questions
B.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Erm.. What he said Wink
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
fceluk
Grafter

I am not suggesting that anyone is more of an idiot than me but.......
I wish there was some way PlusNet could offer a more idiot proof control panel for managing DNS stuff.
It is far from my area of expertise but I have come across other ISPs with 'simpler' facilities.

Dick
James
Grafter

http://www.just-the-name.co.uk & http://www.pay-as-you-host.co.uk offer nice and easy control panel configuration options.
fceluk
Grafter

Thanks James
richardauld

Thanks Barry, I have done as you said and the website is now up and running at www.avalonleadership.co.uk.
Brilliant!
Richard Smiley