cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time installing Joomla on plusnet

paulus

First time installing Joomla on plusnet

Hi
I'm installing a joomla site on plusnet for the first time and I'm encountering a problem which I can't resolve -
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.
Error message:
Premature end of script headers: index.php
If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 500
I've googled and changed permissions to 640 for individual files and 755 for folders but don't know where to go from here
Many thanks in advance  Smiley
Cheers
Paul
6 REPLIES 6
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: First time installing Joomla on plusnet

Sections 8 and 9 in the CGI Platform PHP Upgrade FAQ explain the likely cause of this error and give details of file and directory permission requirements.
The script here will help you to set permissions correctly.
Are you trying to install Joomla 1.6.x? I believe that requires MySQL 5 but the version currently available on ccgi is 4.1.11. Joomla 1.5.22 installs OK.
David
paulus

Hi Mr Spraxyt,  Smiley
Thanks for very much for your help - I will have a go tomorrow when I've got access to Plusnet broadband
Cheers
Paul
TomMelly
Grafter

It's probably something I'm doing wrong, but I've found that I needed 750 (rwxr-x---) for both files and directories (the script linked to above sets the permissions to 700 for files and 710 for directories).
Gabe
Grafter

Quote from: TomMelly
It's probably something I'm doing wrong
Yup.
the script linked to above sets the permissions to 700 for files
sets the permissions to 700 for script files
750 for particular folders (not files) may occasionally be necessary if a CMS is trying to be too clever by working out the correct chmod for uploaded files from the containing folder, by knocking off the execute bits. See faq.
Gabe
TomMelly
Grafter

Quote from: Gabe
the script linked to above sets the permissions to 700 for files
sets the permissions to 700 for script files
750 for particular folders (not files) may occasionally be necessary if a CMS is trying to be too clever by working out the correct chmod for uploaded files from the containing folder, by knocking off the execute bits. See faq.
Gabe

Thanks Gabe - I'll take a closer look... IIRC I had some other problem with the script (one of the find statements), but Filezilla's recursive permissions made it all a bit moot, so I didn't worry too much.
I'll do some more testing and post back to the relevant thread. Since my install was also a Joomla instance, I'll post anything relevant back here as well, since it might help the OP...
paulus

Thanks for the help
However we decided to move hosting providers given the lack of support for Joomla 1.6 and my dislike of the plusnet systems and BT related companies generally.
Thanks again for the help
Cheers
Paul