Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding location from Wi-Fi

FIXED
matthewgdavies1
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Finding location from Wi-Fi

I bought an Amazon Fire HD 8" tablet last week. This device has no sim card or built in GPS so relies on my Wi-Fi connection to enable it to find my location (no idea how it can do that). After setting the device up it is convinced I am located in Husband's Bosworth in Leicestershire some 123 miles from my real location near York.. There is a facility in the settings to physically input your correct location but the device steadfastly to accept that I am not in Husband's Bosworth.I once drove through it but that was fifteen years ago!

Amazon CS gave up trying to resolve the issue and sent a replacement which does precisely the same thing. They have indicated that they think the problem may lie with my ISP having a centre in Husband's Bosworth that is relaying incorrect information to the device but I think that is not possible but who am I to argue with Amazon. I can't believe they send out many thousands of devices with such an error and I also cannot understand how a Hub One router knows where it is.

Before I return the second device and tell Amazon to go and lie down in a darkened room have I overlooked something obvious?Huh

8 REPLIES 8
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Finding location from Wi-Fi

Hi Matthew

I would think it would be down to something like this: https://www.lifewire.com/wifi-positioning-system-1683343

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Open Google Mqps and see where it is reporting you as being. It could be the location the last user of the ip address lived in. If that is so, try https://whatismyipaddress.com/location-feedback to try and force an update. I had the same issue with my phone the other week and it was the sticky ip address.

Mark

matthewgdavies1
Dabbler

Well, possibly but the device can see 8 nearby routers - I doubt all 8 also think they are in the wrong location.

I don't intend to take the device out of the house but inputting the correct address manually (which the software says should override the WI-fi "guessed" location) seems to have no effect. I suspect Amazon need to have a close look at what they are selling!

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

It may see the connections, but does it not get the geo location once it is connected to the network? As you are only connected to your router, it will be using your ip's geo location information, not the others.

matthewgdavies1
Dabbler

I've tried that, only one of the 5 locations "suggested" was in York but there was a red pin on the map pretty much where I'd guess Husband's Bosworth is so you've probably hit the nail on the head. I've updated the geolocation but I suspect the device will be heading back to Amazon to be dropped in the "must try harder" bin.

matthewgdavies1
Dabbler

The article said the geolocation system uses publicly available information from nearby routers to check location accuracy. Amazon actually suggested it might be picking the server location of my ISP rather than just my router. They were stumped. I can't believe Amazon have stocked tens of thousands of devices that don't know where there and can't have the auto location overridden by the user. Very odd.
Thanks for your input. I'm sure the matter will get resolved.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

I have just tried https://whatismyipaddress.com/location-feedback. It tells me that one of my neighbours lives in Surrey, whilst the other neighbour is in Hampshire. The third reference lives across the road, he is in Worcestershire. All are quite a way from where I live in the central  midlands!

IP Locationo.png

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

matthewgdavies1
Dabbler

Fix

@pjmarsh @Marksfish @Baldrick1

It seems that the settings page that will accept manual address input will only be accessed by the device if locations permission is turned off. I've requested my IP address location be updated but presumably as I don't have a static IP it could easily change in the future. The device is now working pretty much as it should as long as I don't take it outside.

Not Amazon's sharpest piece of technical wizardry!

Thanks for all your help