cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False phone calls

dvhughes

False phone calls

I have received a few phone calls today saying that they were from BT and would be disconnecting my Broadband as and from tonight as it was not secure.

I was able to find the telephone not used i.e. 01289573862 and 01267 331512

Are these genuine - cannot get through to "help and support"

6 REPLIES 6
jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: False phone calls

@dvhughes 

These are scam calls. The best thing to do once you have answered them to to say nothing and terminate the call.

agedgopher
All Star
Fixes: 15

@jgb  beat me to the punch. I type slowly and was interrupted, sorry.

This is a well known nuisance that has been ongoing for a long,long time. The numbers you report will not be genuine but spoofed numbers which if you ring them will not work.

Is your telephone service with BT? If not then why would a genuine BT ring to say your service was being disconnected.

Bt have publicly stated on many occasions that the will never telephone in this way.

We have had 2 such call this morning and ignore them.

Another introduction is to say it is a call from you internet provider. You internet provider would abide by your chosen means of communication.

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

The best answer is an answer machine and caller ID  so you do not have to answer in the first place but essentially a call blocker to stop them getting through as often as they might do. Some BT phones have them built in.

I use one from CPR and would not be without it.

My other technique is to answer in a foreign language such as French , German or Spanish.........!

redsox9
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I got a similar call today and frequently over the last few months -- usually a recording.  Just put the phone down.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

I had an earlier model of a CPR Call Blocker. These take their power from the phone connections. Mine worked but when I had a problem the BT fault finder was finding an impedance fault (in fact the power being used by the blocker) on the line and simply claimed that this was the cause of the fault regardless of whether it was connected.

I now have a BT phone with built in TruCall call blocker. This is much better, no buttons to press with scam callers, they just don't get through in the first place..

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'