cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failing to install PerlMagick for ImageMagick on PAYH - help request.

jah
Grafter

Failing to install PerlMagick for ImageMagick on PAYH - help request.

Greetings.
First off, I'm not a *nix user - hence the request for help.
I'm trying to install PerlMagick for ImageMagick and I'm getting stuck with the following error when doing a Make:
[tt]cc -c  -I../ -I.. -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/X11R6/include/X11 -I/usr/include/libxml2 -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DTHREADS_HAVE_PIDS -DDEBIAN -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O3 -g -Wall -pthread -O2   -DVERSION=\"6.2.4\" -DXS_VERSION=\"6.2.4\" -fPIC "-I/usr/lib/perl/5.8/CORE"  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H Magick.c
/bin/sh: cc: command not found
make: *** [Magick.o] Error 127[/tt]
The background:
I'm running Movable Type which uses ImageMagick for thumbnails and CAPTCHAs as long as PerlMagick is installed.  It isn't and my aim is to install it under my cgi-bin directory and then hack MovableType to use my local install.
Running [tt]/usr/bin/identify -version[/tt] via cron, I've managed to determine that the installed ImageMagick (IM) is 6.2.4 02/10/07 Q16
There isn't a readily available PerlMagick for that version of IM so I've located a debian etch package for IM and then uploaded its PerlMagick subdirectory to my cgi-bin.
This means I have the correct version of PerlMagick for the installed IM and all I need to do now is compile and install it.
I've done:
[tt]/usr/bin/perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=~/cgi-bin/pm[/tt]
which completes but then running [tt]Make[/tt] fails with the aforementioned error.
I did [tt]dpkg -l | grep gcc[/tt] and see that gcc is installed:
[tt]
ii  gcc-4.1-base   4.1.1-21   The GNU Compiler Collection (base package)
ii  libgcc1   4.1.1-21   GCC support library
[/tt]
I tried editing the makefile to use gcc instead of cc and then doing [tt]Make[/tt] again, but that resulted in the same error (but not finding gcc).
Any help on what to try next would be most appreciated.
If any plus net staff are reading and fancy installing this perl module globally, that would be good too (but I'd still like to know what I'm missing here!).
[edit] for clarity.
3 REPLIES 3
Gabe
Grafter

Re: Failing to install PerlMagick for ImageMagick on PAYH - help request.

Hi jah,
No, there is no compiler (e.g. gcc --version). I guess what Debian giveth, Plesk taketh away. If you're very nice to Kev, he might add PerlMagick to his fabled task list. In a moment of wild exuberance, he installed ImageMagick for us, when we got Gallery2 working on PAYH, but the etch version proved buggy, so we may have to wait for lenny. Hmm.
Gabe
jah
Grafter

Thanks for the response Gabe.
So you think that even though the gnu compiler looks like it's installed, the platform is configured to disallow access?
I'm currently building an etch VM and I'm going to try compiling perlmagick on that and then transfer the install to my cgi-bin.  In theory, that should work...
Are you talking about Kev Mawson?  I might pm him and see if this is something he might be willing to add to his TODO.
Thanks again.
jah
Grafter

Smiley
I'm feeling kind of chuffed with myself because I've managed to install perlmagick and have hacked Movable Type to find the module under my cgi-bin dir.
It's taken quite a lot of my time - what with installing debian etch, working out what packages I needed to install (build-essentials and kernel headers and so on), building ImageMagick, compiling perlmagick, farting around trying to get the resultant lib directory off my debian VM and up to PAYH and then working out where to instruct MT to [tt]use lib "..."[/tt] - it was well worth seeing whether it could be done though and I'm very happy my blog finally has Image::Magick.
If anyone needs more detail, feel free to hit me up.