Fixes: 4

FTTP

26 REPLIES 26
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: FTTP

@Bogbody 

What you've shown is the OpenReach wholesale price list. BT (as with all other ISP's) will add a margin to cover costs and profits.

Current belief is PlusNet will launch a FTTP product in the autumn.

Brian

Bogbody
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Correct..... the Wholesale Price List, never said it wasn't - article is quite clear I thought.
Point being that BT have set the WHOLESALE prices, the ISP's can now price up and sell the product at a price the customer/market will accept.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

I'm losing the plot here. What has the sholesale price got to do with Plusnet offering the service?

As stated, Plusnet have indicated that they hope to offer FTTP by the end of the year Unless Openreach get to complete installation in your area by then it becomes irrelevant.

Unless you are one of the lucky ones and already have access or they are currently digging up your roads then I suspect that you will be disappointed.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

For starters (IMO) the following might help persuade 'reluctant' ISP use of FTTP to diminish, and hopefully even stop ISPs offering copper services in areas where BT FTTP has been enabled, much like new-builds in many areas can't order ADSL.

Although when the cat is let out of the bag there might be some tricky explaining to do to persuade some people who believe their copper VDSL service is already 'fibre' ... Roll_eyes

FTTP.PNG

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from My Order to Everything Else.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bmc
Hero

@Bogbody wrote:
Correct..... the Wholesale Price List, never said it wasn't - article is quite clear I thought.
Point being that BT have set the WHOLESALE prices, the ISP's can now price up and sell the product at a price the customer/market will accept.

Although BT own OpenReach the company is operated at arms length so BT do not set OR prices. OR is legally required to treat BT as just another ISP. From the public point of view BT and OR are two separate companies.

Wholesale prices have existed for FTTP so long as FTTP has existed. OR have simply published a revised pricing structure to encourage take up.

Brian

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I've already run into the

"I've already got fibre so why are they (open reach) digging everywhere up and causing disruption"

"we dont need more wires, we already have fibre optic internet"

and a local councillor complaint to openreach stating the same things as above

Price will also be a huge factor in take up, if its sold as a premium, and as people already have fibre why go through the hassle of having to have someone drill holes in your wall ( to install an ont)  when you can get fibre internet along what's already there and installed for a dam sight less per month

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@pint 

It’s very early days. As the take up of FTTP gathers pace the cost per user of maintaining both ADSL and FTTC will increase, especially when landlines transfer to digital. I would put money on this being reflected in the price, making the transfer to FTTP even more palatable. We can see how this has happened with the way that the cost difference between ADSL and fibre has reduced over the years.

Today it is cheaper to take a FTTC contract than live in the past on a monthly ADSL service.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@pint wrote: Price will also be a huge factor in take up, if its sold as a premium, and as people already have fibre why go through the hassle of having to have someone drill holes in your wall ( to install an ont)  when you can get fibre internet along what's already there and installed for a dam sight less per month

I'm a bit lost! You are assuming OR controls everything to do with Fibre. There are other companies! Indeed, a lot of other companies that are going into what once was OR only areas. Its what has happened here. And while FTTC might well use the existing (telephone) cables, FTTP doesn't use any existing (copper) cables at all. Its fibre all the way. So while you might have part fibre, it isn't quite the same. No 10 day training etc.

As for the ONT it depends, OR tend to favour such equipment. My ISP installed FTTP deals with it slightly differently. There is a hole drilled through the wall 😀 with the incoming fibre cable going into the back of a single pattress size box (no power required - the box is half the size (depth wise) of a BT Master 5C box), out of the bottom runs a fibre cable over to the supplied router. And that is it. The router turns out to be pretty good both ethernet and WiFi.

What speed would you like? I could have had 1Gb up and down but elected for the cheaper option of 500/500mb. So it costs me another £5 more than I use to pay my last ISP but I'm getting 6x the speed download and 25x the speed upload. And the speed never varies. It is what it is. I see now the local ISP is now offering a lower speed product i.e. 120/120mbps for £19 a month. I also don't have any CPI increases coming along either, with a fixed price for 24months. Admittedly I don't have a phone line now but then I haven't had a phone connected to a landline in years - so no need.

My own take is that FTTP isn't being sold at a premium but that is based on what my local ISP charges. What OR charges might be a totally different kettle.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
J1mbo
Dabbler

Anyone know of any update on this one?

Clangers
Dabbler

I guess Plusnet (like every other ISP) will be working out the detail of Openreach's Equinox offer (which encourages ISPs to move customers on to fttp) to see if they can come up with a viable business model for it. Plusnet first talked about fttp in April, promising a summer, then autumn, then 'later in the year' launch. BT currently offer full fibre at £30/month, with some others (location specific) offering at the £20-£25 range, so Plusnet will probably offer a sub £30 fttp service when they eventually get round to it. Every ISP will have to move to fttp with copper being switched off in 4 years, it's all about the timing. The lack of an update since April is a bit concerning though, as I suspect they may have ditched their original plans.      

J1mbo
Dabbler

Thanks. Copper isn't being retired - despite the bluster there is no budget to upgrade the entire country by then. POTS is however being retired and the phone service delivered over ADSL on the existing copper lines.

I personally really can't see the benefit of adding complexity to a system that's being replaced anyway with fibre in due course and it seems like a good way to make sure remote rural locations get even more cutoff.

piratepete108
Hooked

I'm in a real quandary. I've been with plusnet for years and with line rental it costs me about £30 for around 48Mbs. FTTP is available around my area with about 4 different suppliers including BT and EE both owned by BT ! Yet plusnet, also owned by BT not a sound, silence, nada ?

I have 6 months to go on my contract so would be charged around £60 to end it early I believe so I was hoping to hear that plusnet will be offering FTTP so I could just upgrade my service.

THEN CAME BLACK FRIDAY..........Vodafone are offering FTTP 900Mbs with free sim backup and no setup fee  for.....£30 on a two year contract. AAArrrrrgggghhhhh

bmc
Hero

@piratepete108 

All I can offer is that PlusNet FTTP is due by the end of January. However given they missed their first availability target there's no guarentee on this one.

Brian