cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Both TalkTalk and Sky Have Now Fully Launched FTTP Services

This idea that people should pay for the amount of data that they use is illogical. Data isn't like water that has to be purified and pumped or electricity that has to be generated. The cost factor is the amount of data that can be carried at the same time. Some-one who downloads continually at say 1Mbps would have an insignificant impact on other faster traffic but could still transfer 10GB over 24 hours.

Alternatively someone downloading at say 100Mbps can download the same data in about 14 minutes but needs a data 'pipe' capable of instantly transferring 100 times as much data. This is where the infrastructure cost is centred.

I know that it's a gross over simplification but the simple analogy is that if a data carrying medium is capable of carrying a maximum of 100Mbps then it can cope with 100 people downloading at 1Mbps or 1 person at 100Mbps at the same time.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Capvermell wrote:

@mechanic123 Clearly Openreach need to come up with a 19 Mbps FTTP package that costs no more at wholesale level than an old copper ADSL2+ connection or ideally is a pound or so cheaper.

That will then ensure that far more of the nearly 4 million homes with an FTTP connection passing by their door connect to the service.

@Capvermell 

A wholesale FTTP connection cost more than a FTTC one for the simply reason the investment has to be paid for. Not only that but alternative providers will (do) complain bitterly to Ofcom if OR FTTP Wholesale is offered too cheaply as it affects their investment plans. See the following for the latest argument

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/10/bt-and-talktalk-row-over-fttp-discounts-and-competitio...

Brian

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: FTTP

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to Everything Else

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@bmc wrote:

@Capvermell 

A wholesale FTTP connection cost more than a FTTC one for the simply reason the investment has to be paid for. Not only that but alternative providers will (do) complain bitterly to Ofcom if OR FTTP Wholesale is offered too cheaply as it affects their investment plans. See the following for the latest argument

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/10/bt-and-talktalk-row-over-fttp-discounts-and-competitio...

My reading is that OR will spend £12 Billion to provide FTTP to 20 million properties. This works out at £600 per property. Let's say the life of the investment is 30 years, that gives us a yearly cost of £20 per property (plus interest obviously) or £1.67 per month. These numbers look daunting but when you break them down it's all smoke and mirrors designed to justify huge salaries for the suits/profits for BT shareholders.

What really get's up my nose is all these companies competing with each other with multiple services in urban areas whilst we in rural villages get nothing.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

@Capvermell  Fuly aware of the tech behind t'internet its just that most people arent - hence the "I've aready got fibre why are they digging up the streets for something that people already have"

The ISPs including plusnet are fully to blame for this by selling something (FTTC) that is mutton dressed as lamb "Fibre"

As for FTTP, my area is on this "Rural" roll out list here: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/01/openreach-add-227-rural-uk-areas-to-fttp-broadband-rol...

and there are also reports of openreach migrating people over to FTTP here:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2020/10/openreach-add-51-areas-to-the-copper-phone-to-fttp-mig...

Eventualy at some time it looks lie FTTP will be deafault for fixed line communications, but will plusnet be around by then?