Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTTP news

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Re: FTTP news

@grahamt wrote:

Estimates of when FTTP deals will be offered by Plusnet range from "later than the summer" (the official Plusnet response to an ISPReview article) to "not until 2022" (some users in other threads).

It will probably come too late for me. If there's no offer by the time my contract ends in August I'll be leaving (after having been with PN since 2008). Fortunately, I can afford to pay a bit more than I'm paying now, so I'll be looking for quality.

Yeah, that's understandable; it is looking to be expected to launch a bit later than the summer and should be towards the end of the year. I mean Plusnet do offer such a great customer service which you realise when you go to other providers so even if the wait is a little longer, I'm fine with that because it's not going to be much later and when it does come you're gonna be with a good service and a lesser price and I'd rather be with Plusnet than any of the other providers due to experience with some of them, that's just my sentiments on it though of course 😊

Of course this is subjective so I understand completely, I just feel the little wait is worth it because you can move across to it during your contract at no extra charge (I have an email from Plusnet confirming this with my new contract).

We know how things can be delayed sometimes so I understand your sentiments completely as I've been looking forward to FTTP for a long time so when they were finally doing the upgrade in my area a month or so ago, I was pretty made up about it so hopefully everyone else can get their upgrades soon too (if they haven't already of course). 

Again, it's not just speed but stability for me and as we advance with TV and things we're going to need it anyway but yeah, I'm really looking forward to it 😊

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@robbieglover2k wrote:

Just to add to this in regards to the potential router, has anybody ever used the BT Smart Hub 2 before?

<snip>

Again this is just speculation that it'll be a re-brand of this router with BT having the Smart Hub 3 launch in the near future and it's a good way of re-using their stock but it would be interesting to see 😊

No opinion from me on the BT Smart Hub 2 or any other router PN might offer as I've never bothered with ISP routers.

Unless it fails beforehand, or PN offer higher FTTP speeds (far above 80/20 Mb/s, cheaply) than my present router can handle via PPPoE, I'll probably still be using my now-long-in-the-tooth DrayTek 2920Vn (which can also handle VoIP) which has served me well since the time I first started on the PN FTTP trial several years ago.

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Yeah, I've never actually used another router before other than the provided ones. Truth is I'm not overly technical with them so wouldn't really know what I was doing and if you call Plusnet support (or any ISP really) with a problem they can't really help with the router so it's all a bit daunting for me lol

I do like the look of the Plusnet routers though however performance wise I don't know how they fare against other routers, I'm guessing they're pretty basic but I've not really had any problems with the router before; maybe the Wi-Fi could be a little better but that's about it 😊

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

They do need to firm thing up.

YouFibre are coming to Cheltenham offering symmetric 1GB fibre if you want it, or slower asymmetric if you don't need the top package.

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

100%, they already are anyway as it's expected around the back end of the year but yeah, they're doing away slowly with FTTC anyway (thankfully) so it's going to have to be something that's done anyway as not only are they slowly but surely phasing it out but we won't be able to run regular things at some point on the old infrastructure, which is why they should have done this a long time ago and wouldn't be playing catch up.

Of course, this isn't Plusnet, it's BT Openreach finally getting onto it but it's definitely going to be a thing soon for sure Smiley
robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Just wanted to add, is there any way we could request a separate FTTP forum here?

As FTTP is coming in now this is only going to create a lot more discussion over the next few months as well as people looking for info.

I did notice when looking myself it was scattered all over the forum and quite hard to find, also moved topics in various places then when trying to find them again it was hard to find.

I think it would be a good time now to have a separate FTTP section on the forum as this could really help everyone both for conversation and info.

I'm not sure who to tag here for the mods, so if someone could help that would be awesome!!

Thanks guys, you do a wonderful job at Plusnet and I'm really grateful!!
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Maybe they could rename the Fibre forum to FTTC and then stick in in a sub forum for non fibre services

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

I just feel an FTTP section in general would be much better. There's going to be a lot of conversation in regards to this over the next few months as they're starting to bring this in and it's only going to grow, with them phasing out FTTC slowly but surely it seems to be the best thing for me personally.

I just feel it's the right time to have an FTTP section so people can find info and discussion easy (specially new sign ups and contract renewals) Smiley