cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP username/password problem

Billo

FTP username/password problem

Can anyone help a novice website designer?  I followed the plusnet video help guide for uploading websites, but can't get past the stage of accessing the ftp site as our username &/or password is not recognised, invalid or whatever.  The following is the question I logged with plusnet customer support which they haven't yet resolved - wondering if anyone has any suggestions.  Please respond using small words and assuming no knowledge of anything technical.
Cheers
We are having problems uploading a website to our plusnet web space. As complete novices at this we are probably doing something daft, so please respond assuming we have no knowledge whatsoever.
Following the instructions in your video help we:
1. typed http://www.micnet.plus.com into the internet explorer address bar. That took us to the plusnet holding page. So far so good.
2. typed ftp://www.micnet.plus.com into the address bar. We were then asked for a username and password.
3. typed our plusnet username (micnet) and password (the one that goes with "micnet") into the approprite spaces
4. clicked "logon". This is where things go wrong as we get returned to the same password dialogue box with "micnet" showing as username and password blank. No error messages. Same result, no matter how many times we try.
How do we fix this please?
ALSO
We have registered a domain name to be hosted by plusnet. The domain is loweswatershow.co.uk , and the website we want to upload should be http://www.loweswatershow.co.uk. Once we have resolved the username/password problem, should we use "loweswatershow.co.uk" as the username for the purpose of managing the website or is it still "micnet"?
6 REPLIES 6
adagio
Grafter

Re: FTP username/password problem

I am new to Plusnet but I believe your ftp://www.micnet.plus.com should be ftp://ftp.plus.net . At any rate that is the ftp server I use. Hope this helps.
oliverb
Grafter

Yep, should be ftp://ftp.plus.net and your content goes in the folder "htdocs"
You'll probably need an uploader, personally I use filezilla as its free, quite good at detecting files that don't need updating and can be set to filter out the admin folders that shouldn't be uploaded.
There's no special ftp address for your domain, if you don't configure anything then your domain will show exactly the same content as your www.micnet.plus.com homepage. You can use the domains tool on the portal to configure your domain to point to a folder in your webspace below "htdocs" so it can show its own content. Note this takes about a day to update.
Alternatively if you're brave you can use a .htaccess file to divert different domains to different places but this is a bit "advanced".
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

If you have Firefox then install the addon FireFTP. It's very easy to use.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

www.username.plus.com can be used as well as ftp.plus.net and ftp2.plus.net for FTP connections.
Similarly you can use ccgi.username.plus.com, ccgi.plus.net and cshell.plus.net for FTP to the ccgi server.
killieboy

Quote from: Billo

Following the instructions in your video help we:
2. typed ftp://www.micnet.plus.com into the address bar. We were then asked for a username and password.
3. typed our plusnet username (micnet) and password (the one that goes with "micnet") into the approprite spaces
4. clicked "logon". This is where things go wrong as we get returned to the same password dialogue box with "micnet" showing as username and password blank. No error messages. Same result, no matter how many times we try.
How do we fix this please?

What you have done should be ok - the error you are getting is what happens if the password you are typing is incorrect.
Remember that the password is case sensitive - make sure you are typing in the correct case e.g 'password' is not the same as 'Password'
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've just had a look at your account from here and can't see any problems with it, the webspace is active and should be working fine.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.