cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP to webspace times out

petermaughan
Grafter

FTP to webspace times out

I cannot FTP to my webspace.  I have done it in the past but now I get timeouts.  I've had the problem since the beginning of November.  Today I did manage to transfer a file of 5.38kb but a larger 22kb file timed out.
I have been onto PlusNet support and they have done a dial-in test and transferred some large files.  I too have transferred large files in the past before this problem set in.
I use the FTP built in to MS Windows Explorer, which is usually adequate and convenient (an entry in My Network Places).  I'm a Free-Online user (if that makes any difference).
I have no problems uploading to another web server (doteasy.com) and have switched my work over to there in order to get it completed.  However, I would like to get to the bottom of this problem on PlusNet.
Today I've noticed that all operations on the PlusNet website are incredibly slow, even this forum which takes ages to load each page.  I wonder whether there is inadequate provision of resources, or my account has been given a very low priority.
I have just finnished running a Broadband Speed Test which has given "Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was 3631 kbps", which I think is quite good.  My router is showing a lot of errors under the ADSL link statistics but presumably these a recoverable.
I would be glad of any advice.
Peter
2 REPLIES 2
James
Grafter

Re: FTP to webspace times out

That's strange.
Are you only seeing slowness on PlusNet related pages?  The Community Site is loading really quickly for me this morning.
We did have some issues with the Portal yesterday, but those should all be fixed.
petermaughan
Grafter

Re: FTP to webspace times out

Hello,
Yes, it is only the PlusNet web site that is slow for me.  For example, I've been browsing news.bbc.co.uk this evening without problem.
On this Community Forum:
http://community.plus.net/forum took 35 secs to load
The Login page took 1 min. to process
This "Post reply" page took 2 mins 5 secs to load, counting down from 41 items remaining, with all those little image icons and tags for editing needing to be downloaded.
With these response times, it seems to me that there is no wonder that my FTPs continue to time out.
Best wishes,
Peter