cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP to webspace problem

kdl
Dabbler

FTP to webspace problem

I don't upload things to my webspace too often, so every time I do I need to consult the support pages for the details. So that's what I've just done as I want to upload something - I get to here: http://www.plus.net/support/hosting/webspace/webspace_details.shtml
It says the server is 'ftp.plus.net'. It says to enter my username (which I presume is <user> if I receive emails to "foo@<user>.plus.com"). It says my password is "The password you log in to this website with", which I know well (else I wouldn't be reading the website ...).
I tried to log in with that user name and password and it fails with:
"530 Login incorrect.
Login failed.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
"
(I am not actually connected, so I cannot transfer anything).
Is this something that has changed recently (so is the link above out of date)? Or, am I just being dense?
15 REPLIES 15
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Re: FTP to webspace problem

Quote from: kdl
I tried to log in with that user name and password and it fails with:
"530 Login incorrect."
Is this something that has changed recently (so is the link above out of date)? Or, am I just being dense?

I don't know if this is connected, but have had a ticket open for about six weeks now, with a similar problem.  I used to use dial-up and had a non-subscription account (for which I gather it's necessary to be logged in to PN to upload, if I've understood the FTP message correctly).
220-PLEASE NOTE: If you have a non-subscription account you
220-will only be able to login to this ftp server if you are
220-dialled into our network.

Now that there's a fibre connection here the FTP server doesn't appear to recognise that the PC is "dialled in to PlusNet" and refuses the connection with the same error message.
PASS (hidden)
530 Login incorrect.
Connection failed

I don't know if the issue you're experiencing has a similar cause, suppose it would depend on if you're using legacy "free" webspace and on what type of connection you have, maybe.
Regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

It's not you, I can't log into your account either. Leave it with me...
Quote from: Penny
I don't know if this is connected, but have had a ticket open for about six weeks now, with a similar problem.

What's the ticket ID Penny?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Penny
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: Bob
What's the ticket ID Penny?

#86567025 - and getting the same issue with things like freeway, which was the account used before the switch to fibre. Clearly FTP "works" from here to the main site etc., and I haven't changed any of the set-ups on the other FTP accounts, so am assuming/hoping it's nothing I've "done" : /
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Should be fixed now:
~$ ftp ftp.plus.net
Connected to ftp.plus.net.
220-PLEASE NOTE: If you have a non-subscription account you
220-will only be able to login to this ftp server if you are
220-dialled into our network.
220-
220-A Maximum of 4 concurrent connections are allowed to this
220-server, each session is limited to 256KB/s downloads.
220-
220 Plus.Net FTP Server #1 ready
Name (ftp.plus.net:bpullen): l*******
331 Password required for l*******
Password:
230 User l******* logged in
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.

Penny, I'll take a look at your ticket shortly...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Penny, I'll take a look at your ticket shortly...

I'm able to log into both of your non-subscription accounts from my Plusnet FTTC connection at home. I've a similar suspicion to you as to why you're having problems though. Can you FTP to these accounts now? (I'm guessing you'll be able to).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Penny
Superuser
Superuser

I've a similar suspicion to you as to why you're having problems though. Can you FTP to these accounts now? (I'm guessing you'll be able to).

lol
how did you dooo that, just "instant fix"
I'd almost given up hope this would get sorted (ticket going round in circles) and then you wander in, wave your magic wand, and hey presto.
amazing.  whatever you did, I am truly grateful : )
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cool

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

davyjohn
Dabbler

Hi. I'm also having a problem logging into ftp on my cgi webspace (not done for a long time). I am using server cshell.plus.net, user laserbase and password as for member centre. Hopefully you can do a "quick fix" here for me too. If not, I'll raise a ticket. Thanks.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Try ccgi.<username>.plus.com as the FTP username.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

davyjohn
Dabbler

Bob,
Very many thanks. I've just dug out the email I got when I moved to the new CGI platform and all the login details are explained there. Obviously I didn't think to look at it until after you'd come to the rescue! Thanks again.
kdl
Dabbler

Should be fixed now:

Yes, that did it. Thanks.
Out of interest, what was the problem? Password reset? (I have had this account since we were allowed access to the shell - it's entirely possible I changed my password at the command line in the past).
FWIW, as another correspondent has pointed out, that support page also still mentions the old cshell CGI host (which is what rang alarm bells for me to it possibly being out of date). So it does still need updating (if only to give you guys an easier time ;)).
kdl
Dabbler

Quote from: Penny

I don't know if this is connected, but have had a ticket open for about six weeks now, with a similar problem.

Thanks Penny - I think we have similar symptoms, but different problems. However, it sounds like my post helped you get your own problem sorted too, so it's win-win!
Kudos to Bob.
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

I think we have similar symptoms, but different problems. However, it sounds like my post helped you get your own problem sorted too

... indeed it did - odd how things work out, sometimes : )
Kudos to Bob.

... absolutely.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Out of interest, what was the problem? Password reset? (I have had this account since we were allowed access to the shell - it's entirely possible I changed my password at the command line in the past).

We've never permitted shell access to the Homepages platform although the problem did seem to be related to your password. I essentially resynced your FTP account with your Member Centre account credentials and it seemed to do the trick.
FWIW, as another correspondent has pointed out, that support page also still mentions the old cshell CGI host (which is what rang alarm bells for me to it possibly being out of date). So it does still need updating (if only to give you guys an easier time ;)).

cshell.plus.net is now pointed to the new CGI platform so it should still work for FTP access.
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    cshell.plus.net
Address:  91.136.8.9

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team