cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP to CCGI Webspace for a non-Plusnet phone line and CCGI Hosting File Manager

Ruyton
Grafter

FTP to CCGI Webspace for a non-Plusnet phone line and CCGI Hosting File Manager

Now my site is moved across to the ccgi webspace and the DNS records have been changed to point the domain at the ccgi, I've run into a brick wall with FTP.
Before the DNS redirection, I could quite happily FTP into the ccgi area and that was how I uploaded the site.
I now have an awful feeling that following the redirection, although I can access the ccgi Hosting Control panel from a non-Plusnet line, I won't be able to access the area via FTP - I really hope that I am wrong about this as I manage the site for the account holder from a remote location.
Moving on to Plan B, using the Hosting Control File Manager is there any way to upload files other than selecting them individually?  My website, created with Rapidweaver, had files and directories with files in them.  I can't see a way to select a folder and upload the lot.
All advice will be most welcome.
9 REPLIES 9
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: FTP to CCGI Webspace for a non-Plusnet phone line and CCGI Hosting File Manager

I think you were typing this as I replied on your other thread! Here's my reply:
Good news that the DNS has propagated, I'm confused as to why you can't log in via FTP though. When you log in to the control panel, have you been to FTP Manager and set a master FTP password?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Ruyton
Grafter

Re: FTP to CCGI Webspace for a non-Plusnet phone line and CCGI Hosting File Manager

I'll stop typing on the other thread otherwise we'll never catch up with each other :_
Chris, you are confused - how do you think I feel.
Maybe the easy question first?  Can I FTP to my Plusnet (Force9) CCGI hosting space from a non-Plusnet phone line?
And yes, Support set a password for me which didn't work, I've reset the password and I've even created a new user with a new password!
Hosting Control Panel works fine, but outside of this, a brick wall.  I FTP'ed the site to the CCGI space successfully before the DNS redirect.  I've got a support ticket in too so you can read back if you need to.
Ruyton
Grafter

The silence is a bit worrying  Lips_are_sealed
Site content uploaded using the CCGI Hosting Control Panel - which was a bit of a faff.  You can upload more than one file at a time, but you have to browse and add each file individually so it's still very tedious.  A real shame you cant select a directory and upload it, or Ctrl Click to select more than one file.
Chris
Legend

Hi again,
Let me speak to someone here who may be able to give some more insight into this. I'll post back on this thread when they've responded but it's very unlikely to be until tomorrow now.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Ruyton
Grafter

Thanks Chris,
At least the site is visible now and I can update it, although it's a bit more difficult than just pressing the 'Publish' button in Rapidweaver.
Keeping my fingers crossed that I can FTP in from a non-Plusnet line, otherwise it's going to make a lot more work for me.  The phone line is installed 35 miles away in a building that I don't have routine access to and where they don't have the web authoring software - not to mention the incredibly low upload speed.
Ruyton
Grafter

I'm a bit disappointed by the lack of support that I'm receiving.  I've just had a support ticket response to say that there isn't anything wrong with my FTP, but no attempt to answer my questions or to offer a solution.
I repeat, since the DNS transfer I can no longer access my ccgi hosting space by FTP from a non-Plusnet phone line.  I could before the transfer but now I can't, so something has changed.
So, one question at a time - Should I be able to access my ccgi hosting space from a non-Plusnet phone line?
Chris
Legend

Unforunately I haven't been able to get a definitive answer on your questions yet. I was under the impression that you were now able to make changes to your CGI space from any connection, it didn't specifically have to be a Plusnet connection. The best person to answer your query is unfortunately on holiday this week (Bob), he helped to manage the migration of CGI space over to Hostopia so would be able definitively either way.
Ruyton
Grafter

Chris, I worry that changes can be made to CGI webspace from anywhere - but only using the (Hostopia?) Control Panel which is very limited.
I can't understand why I could FTP in using FileZilla and RapidWeaver BEFORE the DNS transfer, but now I can't.
I didn't make any changes to my FTP settings, but of course since I lost the FTP ability it's quite possible that the 101 variations I have tried have resulted in me getting further form the solution rather than closer.  I'll be the first to hold my hand up if I'm doing something wrong, I just want this sorted.
I manage 3 other websites - 3 different domains, all with Chillidog and I can FTP to these with any client.
I don't want to waste any more time trying to get the FTP to work if it isn't designed to function other than using the web based Control Panel.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: Ruyton
Chris, I worry that changes can be made to CGI webspace from anywhere - but only using the (Hostopia?) Control Panel which is very limited.

That's not the case at all, you can connect to the Hostopia web servers from anywhere.
I can't understand why I could FTP in using FileZilla and RapidWeaver BEFORE the DNS transfer, but now I can't.

Let's take it back to basics. What FTP server address and username are you using to connect?
I didn't make any changes to my FTP settings...

Weren't you using the Homepages servers before though? If you were, then you *do* need to make changes to your FTP settings.
I've reset your FTP password to match that of your Hosting Control Panel login and I've managed to FTP to the server without any problems.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵