Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP stalling

briank
Grafter

FTP stalling

Why does FTP to my webspace keep stalling  Angry
It's been like this ever since I first created my plusnet hosted website (about 6 years ago).
I use WS_FTP Pro as my FTP client.
Whenever I attempt to upload a small batch of files, FTP stalls after the first few transfers.
After several tens of seconds or sometimes minutes, the transfers continue.
Depending how many files are in the transfer list, it will often stall several times.
I never have this problem when using FTP to other servers.
5 REPLIES 5
SkySurfer
Dabbler

Re: FTP stalling

I get this problem too..... I also use WS_FTP.
For me it can happen with even a single file - I will upload it 5-10 times no problem, and then all of a sudden, it won't go anymore and sits in the transfer list for ages while the progress bar on the server continually tries to refresh..
My usual course of action is:
Pause the upload
Delete the upload queue
Start a new upload
It will then go immediately......... go figure!?!?!?
Incidentally, I get this problem uploading to the CGI servers, I haven't used the normal webspace servers for a while...
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Tip for you both upload your files after midnight wen the Servers are not that busy if you can.  That is what I do and the files fly up on to the Server.
Hope this helps.
SkySurfer
Dabbler

Hi Gary,
Thanks for the reply to the thread, and I would agree with you that you are correct in what you are saying that files will fly up after midnight.
My problem is that I have been working on a new company website for a few months and most of that has been done during normal working hours (or even the evenings) when things seem to be a little more frustrating.
The CGI servers seem to suffer from the same problems as well.....always nice and responsive after midnight but not so clever during the day. The trouble is most of our customers are in bed after midnight!
But that's another story / thread altogether...... lol Smiley
Tony_W
Grafter

I seem to remember, some time ago, that the FTP servers had a slow response and FTP kept timing out.
I believe that, in the end, an investigation found that a rogue script was hogging lots of server time. They shut the script down, informed the user of the script and all was back to being OK.
Perhaps something similar is happening again. I am getting intermittent (but fairly rare) timeouts on pages hosted in the ccgi server.
Tony
mentalist3d
Grafter

I dont host with PlusNet, but with my the Host I'm with, I did have this issue and it was resolved by trying another FTP software (I use FileZilla) as my previous FTP software was requesting too many connections to the server and so getting a temporary ban, but the FTP software just looked like the files were stalling, this may or may not be the issue you are having though.