cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP problems with a MAC

angelab
Grafter

FTP problems with a MAC

I have a similar problem - and am rather discouraged to see no one has come back to you with an answer, Peaksoft!

I am UK-based.
For years, I have been able to upload files easily to my PlusNet webspace from my PC - whether in wired or wireless mode.
However, I have recently purchased a Mac computer, and trying to do the same thing from that results in the message:
"The item <filename>.htm could not be moved because htdocs cannot be modified."
I'm not very good at the jargon, but basically I was trying to do my usual uploading routine:
- I go to the site ftp.plus.net
- A folder comes up, called htdocs.
- and drag files, and their relevant folders, to it.
BUT:
- I am NOT asked for any login details.
- I tried dragging the file from my computer to the folder, in the normal way, only to receive the message given above.
- then a message came up saying the connection was terminated by the remote host.
I make all my webpages using MSWord.
The file that I am trying to upload is a modified one - i.e. with the same name as one already in my htdocs folder. 
I do have MSWord on my Mac, but undoubtedly it's of a more recent date than the MSWord on my PC.  I don't know if that makes any difference.
I shall be looking out for suggestions, too!
Angela

[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim)  title modified when split from original thread ]
5 REPLIES 5
peaksoft
Grafter

FTP problems with a MAC

Angela, I suddenly remembered some very sound advice that I was given years ago.
On the first occasion I ever had to summon a techy at work, I started a long explanation describing the symptoms of a computer problem.
He smiled and nodded, and rebooted my computer, and when it restarted, the problem had gone away.  "Works 90% of the time for 100% of problems," he said.
On this occasion, I switched off my router at the mains, and my computer, left them for five minutes, restarted the router and waited for it to settle down, restarted my computer...and hey presto!
At this point, a member of the technical staff at Plusnet came back to me and said that for some reason, I had been assigned a default set of privileges when I last logged on, and these did not include FTPing.  Restarting my router had forced a reset of my assigned privileges.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: FTP problems with a MAC

Topic split off and title modified - hence the two posts edit - as this looks to be a Mac specific problem
Gabe
Grafter

Hi Angela,
FTP in finder is read only (at least up to leopard, I haven't met the snowy variety yet). To upload, you would need to use the terminal or an FTP client. Filezilla (free) or Cyberduck (shareware) would be worth a look.
Gabe
angelab
Grafter

Hi Gabe,
Thanks for the suggestions - though I am not sure I have quite grasped them...
I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to Macs, so will have to ask what must seem really pathetic questions:.
What is "Finder" ?  Is it the PlusNet ftp window that I have open (in Safari, in my case) showing the folder htdocs?
..."you would need to use the terminal" - what is this?  Where do I find it?
..."an FTP client" - is this some intermediary software between my computer and the PlusNet page showing the htdocs folder?
Many thanks again
Angela

Gabe
Grafter

Hi Angela,
Highly pertinent questions.
The Finder is the Mac's file manager. If you hover over the OS face in dock, it'll say Finder, and if you click it you get the file and folder lists in windows and the Finder menus up top-left of the screen. If you enter an ftp address into Safari then, if you don't have an ftp client installed, it will hand the address over to Finder. You get to the same place from Finder's Go menu -> Connect to Server. Unfortunately that will only allow you to read files, not upload them or otherwise alter them.
The Terminal is OS X's command-line interface. You find it in your Utilities folder. You can use it to send and retrieve files by typing commands, but it's strictly for the geeks.
Yes, exactly, an FTP client is a software package you install in your Applications folder and you use it access ftp servers, a bit like you use Safari to access http servers. There's a slight learning curve, but they tend to be pretty straight forward. You can find Filezilla here.
Gabe