cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP on Plusnet gateway

normanjohn
Dabbler

FTP on Plusnet gateway

I tried to ftp login to my website domain and received a "login error" message, (I have used the same domain and login for years). A few suggestions from Plusnet support did not work.
Looking at my router log I saw that my Plusnet PPP connection dropped a few days ago after which I was connected to gateway 46.208.xx.xx.
I logged off from Plusnet for a few minutes and reconnected with gateway 87.114.xx.xx, after this I was able to login to the web domain again and all seems OK now.
Maybe a clue here on different Plusnet gateways not allowing ftp access?
Anyone had a similar problem?
10 REPLIES 10
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: FTP on Plusnet gateway

I think you could be spot on there. The 46.208.x.x range is a recent addition and It could well be that ccgi hasn't been told it's a valid Plusnet range. Something for Plusnet to look at next week.
David
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I've raised an internal problem to have this looked into (ref: 67030).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

james26
Grafter

hi,
I can't upload my site too! got around to updating today and "login incorrect" I am using MAAF with there justmail which gives 100mb of space, handy to keep mail when I moved over from MAAF in Oct
Can any one help?
james.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Is your IP in the 46.208.x.x range? If so disconnect from Plusnet then reconnect (using the router's web interface); see if you are allocated a new IP from a different range.
David
David
james26
Grafter

hi,
it now works after i disconnected etc and also my login seems just to be user name and not username@madasafish.com
but it works!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@james26, even taking into consideration the disconnect/reconnect, there were some other problems affecting MAAF FTP yesterday so I don't think you issue is related to the one above concerning the 46.208.x.x  IP ranges.
Glad to hear it's working now though! Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quick update on this one guys...
We've checked both the ACL and IP table rules for the CGI platform and the 46.208.x.x ranges are definitely allowed. Add to this the fact that we can see successful login attempts/FTP sessions from customers assigned IP's from these ranges.
That leaves us at a bit of a dead end unless any further examples are forthcoming?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

normanjohn
Dabbler

The 'login error' message has re-appeared, I am allocated a 46.208.xx.xx IP address again. I have tried disconnect/reconnect but cannot get away from the 46.208 IP range and still cannot login via ftp. I last succesfully logged on via ftp on 26th July but I do not know what the IP allocation was then.
Any more clues on the 46.208.x.x range?
lexusuk
Grafter

Hi normanjohn,
I have checked with our Networks team and I have been assured that there should not be a problem with this.
The only way for us to replicate this is to dial test your connection.  This will require your modem to be powered off during the testing.  Can you power down today so that we can test this for you?
normanjohn
Dabbler

Alex,
Thanks for quick reply. I have managed to re-connect to a 87.112.x.x Plusnet gateway and can now ftp to this with no problem. I can only conclude that there is something fishy about the 46.208.x.x gateway (or at least when I use it!).
I am happy to try anything else you suggest but things seem OK for now.
Thanks
Norman