cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP of webstats failure (again) today ....

kaspencer
Rising Star

FTP of webstats failure (again) today ....

Good morning.

Webstats were not generated this morning for either of my domains. Last run was yesterday (18th). There should have been one in the early hours of this morning (19th).

Could someone (Mr WebStats) kindly run your webstats routines asap so I can get them?

A message when that has been domne would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance ...

Kenneth Spencer

12 REPLIES 12
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: FTP of webstats failure (again) today ....

Hi Kenneth,

I've raised this to our NetOps team for investigation and I'll post back when I know more (should be within 24 hours)

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Hi @Gandalf 

As per post https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/Webstats-missing-but-only-on-one-of-my-two-domains/m-p... (04/01/21) Webstats are still out, here (since 5th August 2020).

There seems to be some sort of anomaly (just on the HappyChild webstats, I think) where it is calling up Webstats for August 2102 (81 years from now).

The stats themselves seem to generate okay every day (today's say Generated 19-May-2021 17:34 BST) so I'm guessing NetOps have kicked off today's run manually (fixing the issue posted above on this thread) but because the HappyChild display pages on webstats are set for 2102, they don't display the current figures (at all).

I have tried not to hassle about this (I know everyone's been stretched because of Covid over the last many months) but it's really disconcerting not to be able to see what's happening with the site webstats ongoing.

Could you possibly ask NetOps to take a closer look (?)

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
kaspencer
Rising Star

@Penny and @Gandalf 

I now have the missig stats. Thanks for that!

May I also ask that someone has a look at this request, please:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/Plusnet-hosted-domain-security/td-p/1806431

Many thanks,

Kenneth Spencer

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

From what I can see the task I've raised hasn't been picked up yet however as far as I'm aware we do have internal monitoring on this. @kaspencer I'm glad that you've got your webstats now though.

I'll take a look at your other thread shortly.

@Penny Sorry to see this hasn't been sorted yet. I've raised this through to NetOps to take a closer look. I'll provide an update as soon as I know more and got a response back, should be within 3 working days.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

@Gandalf wrote:

@Penny Sorry to see this hasn't been sorted yet. I've raised this through to NetOps to take a closer look. I'll provide an update as soon as I know more and got a response back, should be within 3 working days.

@Gandalf  It's been a week and this is still how the daily stats page looks (and has, for the past nine months now).

20210527-webstats-generated-0344amBST-02.jpg

The only thing that appears to have changed is that the linked Aug 2102 page (from the link below the word month) has been removed (now generates a 404), so something has clearly been changed (just not fixed the issue).  Previous history dating back almost 20 years is still accessible, thankfully (by modifying the usage URL) but it would be good to know what's happening on an ongoing basis : )

I've been unable to add to the site for some long while (other commitments, ongoing, and a very heavy schedule right now) but there are plans to do so in the not-too-distant future, all else remaining equal. So being able to keep a weather eye on visit levels across various areas would be constructive, if someone in NetOps can wave a magic wand, somehow.

Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @Penny,

I'm afraid that @Gandalf is away from the office at the moment, though he was able to inform me earlier that your latest comments have been passed back along to the Net Ops Team and we're currently awaiting their further response. As it happens, we received our previous update from them yesterday evening. Once an update becomes available, we'll be in touch to discuss the matter further. Apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused in the meantime.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

@TheMightyAJ wrote:

Hi @Penny,

.. your latest comments have been passed back along to the Net Ops Team and we're currently awaiting their further response. As it happens, we received our previous update from them yesterday evening.

@TheMightyAJ  Thanks for having replied back in @Gandalf 's absence.

However you didn't disclose the content of the update that NetOps had sent already. Would you be able to say what it said (?)

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

@Penny The update was just that some files were removed which matches up with what you’ve said. 

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
kaspencer
Rising Star

@Penny @TheMightyAJ @Gandalf @Anoush 

My webstats for the last two mornings have been some 2 hours later on delivery than the case previously.

As a result I have a question and a request:
The Request: if changes like this are planned, can they pleased be publicised?
The Question: is this change permanent? Do I need to change the time of thechron job?

Thanks in advance for your attention!

Kenneth Spencer

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @kaspencer 

The Request: if changes like this are planned, can they pleased be publicised?

Potentially unlikely as webspace is a legacy product

The Question: is this change permanent? Do I need to change the time of thechron job?

I suspect there's just a delay with us running the report. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Penny
Superuser
Superuser

@Anoush wrote:

@Penny The update was just that some files were removed which matches up with what you’ve said. 

@Gandalf 
Thank you for the notification today that Ticket #215273740 has been created re the investigation into the Webstats issues, ref NetOps task under ref INFOPS-54443.

I did go (via the portal) to the Webstats page (with the java links) a few days ago, just to verify that the address I was using to access the Webstats is correct (it was).

On that page I discovered that *two* lots of Webstats are being generated. One for the ro** username (very minimal stats as might be expected, but updating accurately on a daily basis) and one for the domain name (identical URL for access via the portal [java] as the one used here daily).

I would therefore ask the question, would it be possible to for someone to physically compare the set-ups for the ro** username webstats (June 2021 ongoing) and the HappyChild webstats (output still showing August 2102, 81 years from now).

It may also be worth mentioning that I downloaded and accessed one of the logs visible on the happychild site ftp (logs folder by htdocs folder) and having checked back today there is still a full set (.gz and 0.gz to 6.gz) for the past week.

The log file I opened with Notepad++ was a healthy size and showing accesses 08/06/21 to all sorts of pages.

I can only guess therefore that the HappyChild webstats script isn't accessing the current ongoing logs (because it's somehow set for the wrong year).

I could stick all this info on the ticket but don't want to do anything to impede its progress. Therefore if you'd be kind enough to copy/paste this post into the ticket (and NetOps task?), this would be very much appreciated.

Years back (2004?) someone kindly talked me through setting up a version of Webstats here (using telnet + cron jobs and whatever else) and I recently looked back at those notes as a last resort to getting a Webstats overview of the site.

However logic intervened - I have a very heavy schedule ongoing and realistically it isn't practicable for me to try to do that again. Whoever's in NetOps must be vastly more competent at the technical stuff than I am, and I'm hoping it won't prove an insurmountable task to marry up the Webstats call-up script with the (accurate) logs that are already being generated daily.

Whatever the issue is, it dates from about 5th August last year (the relevant page is no longer visible as it has recently been removed from the server, but it coincided with a Webstats outage experienced by others, see thread https://community.plus.net/t5/Everything-else/Webstats-incomplete-for-20200706/m-p/1759728/highlight... ).

As far as I'm aware, everyone else's Webstats-display-pages are generating correctly (as indeed are the ro** ones for my account) so I'm hoping NetOps can actually fix this.

Fingers crossed.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to me @Penny 

No problem, I emailed a colleague in the NetOps team yesterday as I was beginning to think the task I raised a while ago had been forgotten, but that wasn't the case. They've been trying to figure out the issue.

Unfortunately to set expectations I'm told that we might not have a fix for this due to webstats being a legacy service, no longer fully supported and knowledge across the existing NetOps team being limited as a result.

I've passed on what you've said verbatim to the NetOps gurus by email, thanks for the info!

Feel free to add anything you'd want you believe is useful for us to the ticket ref 215273740 on your account, because the task I've got raised is on a different system internally. I can then pass any further detail across to them. 

I'll continue to keep an eye on this and update you as soon as I know more.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet