cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP from a different router

mickeblue
Dabbler

FTP from a different router

Can someone advise me on this one? I'm no longer a Madasafish client, but a friend for whom I have been making a website is. Using his username and password we can log into his account and webmail from my pc, but when we try to upload from my machine to his webspace directory we constantly get a '530 Login incorrect' error message.
New one on me, any ideas folks?
Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: FTP from a different router

I believe you can only access webspace using FTP from a PlusNet connection.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mickeblue
Dabbler

Quote from: MisterW
I believe you can only access webspace using FTP from a PlusNet connection.

There was no mention of this when I spoke with technical support at Madasafish last Thursday.
Huh If this was the case how would someone who used their web site for business purposes update the content if they were out on the road?  Huh ]
Anonymous
Not applicable

Someone "out on the road" would set up a VPN tunnel back to their router, and be able to access their network for files, email etc, but also to indirectly access the internet as if it was from their usual fixed location.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Just looking at the support pages, maybe it's only the CGI webspace that's limited to a PlusNet connection.
http://www.plus.net/support/hosting/webspace/webspace_details.shtml

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Correct. The homepages server is accessible from any internet connection. The cgi server is only accessible from a Plusnet internet connection.
mickeblue
Dabbler

Quote from: Peter
Correct. The homepages server is accessible from any internet connection. The cgi server is only accessible from a Plusnet internet connection.

So any ideas how I can resolve the 530 issue Peter? I've tried using FileZilla, Core FTP, and FireFTP and they all give me the same error message. When I use any of these apps to access my own webspace it connects without a problem so it can't be a router issue.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I assume that you are logging in as described here http://www.madasafish.com/support/features/my_webspace/ftp_settings/ftp_settings.shtml which is actually different to the Plusnet system and it may mean that the restrictions are different
Also these instructions seem reasonably clear assuming that there isn't a block on non Madasafish Accounts
http://www.madasafish.com/support/features/my_webspace/ftp_settings/uploading.shtml
mickeblue
Dabbler

Yes I am Oldjim... basically the same settings I used to use when I was a M'fish customer. Guess I'll have to call tech support tomorrow ( the Killing is on BBC4 now so websites go on the back burner ).
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you got the Broadband Firewall switched to 'HIGH' on your account ?
The 'help' says -
The 'High' setting will prevent the use of VPN software, Active FTP sessions and software which lets you to synchronise your computer's time using an external source. If you want to use these applications, switch to the 'Low' setting.

You could also check whether your router is inadvertently port forwarding FTP somewhere, also the firewall on your PC may be doing something silently.
mickeblue
Dabbler

It seems that the problem isn't anything to do with this end of things, but is due to a delay in getting the guys domain registered with Nominet. Until that happens there is no access to his webspace.
Thanks for your thoughts and help with this guys... I guess some days you just can't win  Cry