cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP access

standrewsoxshot
Dabbler

FTP access

Now I'm really confused. Do I have to change the way I access via FTP?
I HAD been using FTP to cshell.force9.net which has worked just fine for years

but that now gives (from filezilla)
Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Error: Could not connect to server
similarly with a command line FTP
>ftp cshell.force9.net
Connected to cshell.force9.net.
Connection closed by remote host.
I've tried ftp.plushost.co.uk
but that doesn't seem to know about my username/password
Is this a temporary issue with the new platform, or do I need to change my access method?
Mike
9 REPLIES 9
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: FTP access

FTP to cshell.force9.net (as xxxxxxxxx@cshell.force9.net) using FileZilla just worked OK for me
Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response: 220 Force9.Net CGI FTP Server #2 ready
Command: USER xxxxxxxxx
Response: 331 Password required for xxxxxxxxx.
Command: PASS *************
Response: 230 User xxxxxxxxx  logged in
Then normal FTP transactions
Isn't 'plushost' PAYH; haven't got usernames/passwords mixed up?
David
David
standrewsoxshot
Dabbler

Hmmm. so its just me then 😞
I'm just getting nothing back from the FTP server, so its not prompting for username/password.
I'm accessing from a BT business broadband connection at the moment, but that used to work just fine. I remember long ago that it was only possible to use the FTP service from a force9 connection. I'm wondering if some restriction like that has been re-imposed.
Tony_W
Grafter

Quote from: standrewsoxshott
I remember long ago that it was only possible to use the FTP service from a force9 connection. I'm wondering if some restriction like that has been re-imposed.

I did not know the restriction had been eased. I have always assumed that you had to be accessing the ccgi server from a PN line.
Just as a 'me too', I have full FTP access to both the ccgi server and my ccgi hosted domain.
Tony
standrewsoxshot
Dabbler

Looks like that's what the problem is. Its working fine for me from PN, but failing from BT or O2. Weird, because it was working fine from BT for a long time. I think it became OK when they became "part of" BT. It would be nice if it "just worked",  using something like SSH FTP.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Possibly FTP access from a BT network worked when some Plusnet customers trialled use of RIN (which used BT IPs). It's some considerable time since that trial ended and as far as I am aware being logged in via a Plusnet connection has been essential for FTP access since then.
David
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

You'll need to be connecting from our network in order to access the servers. I didn't realise that we'd ever relaxed this so it's like that spraxyt's assumption is correct.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

thirtiethcentur

Um, with respect, I'm not sure this is strictly true. My web designer can access the regular server without being on the Plusnet network, but not the CGI one. This causes much frustration; I would have thought that with all the problems apparently caused by the PHP5 upgrade, the least Plusnet could do was to allow access to the CGI server outside the network so that people could attempt to analyse their problems from wherever they are.
Rob
jdean

Thanks Bob
Please ignore my previous message to yourself, this was the missing link!
PS Can you tell your support guys this, as  have had a ticket waiting since monday and not one of them spotted this or offered me any advice
Quote from: Bob
You'll need to be connecting from our network in order to access the servers. I didn't realise that we'd ever relaxed this so it's like that spraxyt's assumption is correct.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: thirtiethcentury
Um, with respect, I'm not sure this is strictly true. My web designer can access the regular server without being on the Plusnet network, but not the CGI one.

Access to the Homepages servers is possible from anywhere as long as you have a paid-for subscription-based  account.
Quote from: jdean
PS Can you tell your support guys this, as  have had a ticket waiting since monday and not one of them spotted this or offered me any advice

Yep, have done.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵