cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP Problem

samgregkt1
Dabbler

FTP Problem

i don't know how to post a new topic so i thought I'd slip it in here and hope that someone picks it up.

i run a website off of the back of Plusnet account. I've always used Filzilla as an FTP but i haven't used it for a couple of years. 

I've tried to upload some pages but the connection fails. The status reads, Insecure server, it does not support FTP over TLS.

Command: USER .....my user name.

Response 331 Password required for (my user name)

Response: 331 Password required for (my user name)

Command: PASS*******

Response: 530 Login incorrect

Error: Critical error: Could not connect to server.

Please help as i don't understand. Smiley

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Thread title edited to reflect issue aftersplit to it's own thread.
17 REPLIES 17
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: unhappy

You have the wrong username of password stored in Filezilla. If its plusnet web space ( I didnt think that was available for recent accounts ) then the login details are here https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/about-your-plusnet-webspace/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

samgregkt1
Dabbler

Bingo. Many thanks for your help. I'd forgotten that I'd changed my password for Plusnet, your instructions reminded me that I'd done so.

Thanks again.

samgregkt1
Dabbler

Everything was going so well until i tried to open the web page.

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at noc@plus.net to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

What do i do now?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Presumably it's a error in one or more of your website files. Possibly an error with permissions on the files you've uploaded. I'm afraid I'm no website expert...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

samgregkt1
Dabbler

I contacted NOC@ but I haven't received a reply. Do you think that as I've just renewed my contract that my free web space has been taken out of the contract? I'd really like it put back. How can i achieve this.  

Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: FTP Problem

Moderator's note(s):

OP and replies split to their own thread and title changed to reflect issue.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

samgregkt1
Dabbler

I now have a bit of time to return to this problem. I think that my Web space has been taken down when I renewed my contract. How can i get this re-instated?

samgregkt1
Dabbler

Mav, I didn't understand your note that this was split to it's own thread. Where do i pick this up?

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Here. This is where it should be. 

The mods sometimes do this when someone raises a problem and post on another thread when they feel it will be better looked at on your own thread, so they're just trying to help.

samgregkt1
Dabbler

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the link but it hasn't really helped. I really don't know what to do. I'm not an expert website designer but it's always worked in the past. Now all i get is the error message when I log onto www.paternosterlodge.co.uk

I know what to do to put it right if it's my error. Is there a way that one of you techie guys could have a look at my pages and tell me how to put it right. That's of course unless my free webspace has been removed because i change my contract.

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at noc@plus.net to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Many thanks,

Mick

Alex
Community Veteran

I believe you could be right, and that PlusNet don't support webspace anymore.

I would pay a bit more money to get your space sorted out more professionally. Yes it will cost you a bit, but shouldn't be too much. If your domain is with PlusNet then getting it transferred, and it should just be a case of changing the A record.

It's quick to think "Oh that will cost me more, I don't want do it". Though sometimes it is worth it.

No ads and you can use scripting webspace et al.

Like when I had my personal domain's MX records pointed onto into POP3. My sysadmin friend gave me a telling off, and said "I still can't believe you're using POP3". Fun and games that was changing it over, but I can never look back on POP3 again.

samgregkt1
Dabbler

Hi Alex,

I've got my webspace up & running again however there's a page that i can't seem to put right. It's a protected page, linked from another page. The pages are htaccess.txt & htpasswd.txt. Should either page/index have a prefix of a dot in front of it. ie, .htaccess.txt & .htpasswd.txt?

Alex
Community Veteran

Looks like it, but I have never tried it myself, here is a couple of links I managed to dig ipi t:

htpasswd.txt - 

.htaccess - https://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=299809

httpasswd - https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/programs/htpasswd.html

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@samgregkt1 wrote:

I've got my webspace up & running again however there's a page that i can't seem to put right. It's a protected page, linked from another page. The pages are htaccess.txt & htpasswd.txt. Should either page/index have a prefix of a dot in front of it. ie, .htaccess.txt & .htpasswd.txt?

htaccess files are not typically pages you would access per se.

The format of both files is that they do not have a file extension (.txt) and they are preceded by a dot. This makes them 'hidden' files, which you may need to explicitly tell your FTP client to look for (else they will not display in the file listings):-

.htaccess
.htpasswd

These files are used to protect access to other web content on your site e.g. you may have a directory with some content in at /mywebsite/index.html and you could place .htaccess/.htpasswd files in the /mywebsite directory that would require a visitor to enter a username/password when browsing to /mywebsite/index.html

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵