FTP Login is being refused ...

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Re: FTP Login is being refused ...

Hey @kaspencer,

Thanks for letting us know.

I am sincerely sorry this issue is still ongoing and I do apologise for the inconvenience it causes you.

I can see we are still awaiting an update from our networks team, I'll provide a further update to the internal support ticket we have with them and hopefully this will help speed up a resolution for you.

Thanks.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

SU Escalation

Superuser escalation

This topic has been escalated by one of the Superusers; please allow time for Plusnet to respond before commenting further.

Escalation does not imply progressing this matter will be given priority, nor that a different outcome will result.

Reason for escalation:  Review response

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kaspencer
Rising Star

@MauriceC @OskarPapa @RandallFlagg @Beyhive 

Having had about 25 days with no failures, I was hoping that the issue had been resolved but that someone had failed to inform me of that fact. Then this morning, my FTP Login failed again.

It is no good issueing platitudes, saying that you care and that you are working on it. That takes me for a fool. The fact is that is you cared you would do something about it. In fact, you leave me with the impression that the technical team at PlusNet is no better than the average telecoms/Internet services provider - useless when really needed - and in fact bottom of the pile when we compare your actual performance with your media advertisements, which inhabit a dream worked compared with the reality of my experience.

I would not be surprised if my issue was such that it could be resolved within an hour, but your incompetence and complete lack of commitment to customer care just leave me at a loss.

Kenneth Spencer

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thank you for your comments @kaspencer.

I can see that one of our advisors updated your ongoing ticket this morning and awaits your response.

kaspencer
Rising Star

@OskarPapa 

Frankly, I am astounded that after all this time, "one of your advisers" has made this request for such basic information about this problem. It explains to me why you have simply been incapable of dealing with the issue.

First rule of customer support: "Do your home work". In other words find out what has been going on from the beginning.

I suggest that you advise your colleague to read the history. That is what I shall advise him/her to do.

Kenneth Spencer.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @kaspencer 

Apologies for the ticket reply, I'll feed that back. 

I've updated the INFOPS task internally making them aware of the issue as it currently is and asking for further detail. 

Once a reply is provided we will inform you accordingly. 

Kind Regards,

MoR

kaspencer
Rising Star

@MasterOfReality @OskarPapa @Mads @RandallFlagg 

The issue continues:

21st August - everything worked, and had done so for the past 30 days, just like this, as it should:

Processing of webstats started at Friday, 20190821 05:30:01.
Connected to homepages.plus.net.
220-PLEASE NOTE: If you have a non-subscription account you will only be able to login to this ftp server if you are dialled into our network.
A Maximum of 4 concurrent connections are allowed to this server, each session is
limited to 256KB/s downloads.
220 Plus.Net FTP Server #1 ready
331 Password required for kaspencer
230 User kaspencer logged in Remote system type is UNIX. Using binary
mode to transfer files.
Local directory now /****/*******/****/******/******/******/raw_logs
250 CWD command successful local: www.kaspencer.com.gz remote: www.kaspencer.com.gz
200 PORT command successful
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for www.kaspencer.com.gz (5947 bytes)
226 Transfer complete 5947 bytes received in 0.01 secs (484.5 kB/s)
local: www.atworth.org.uk.gz remote: www.atworth.org.uk.gz
200 PORT command successful
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for www.atworth.org.uk.gz (8030 bytes)
226 Transfer complete 8030 bytes received in 0.00 secs (3361.3 kB/s)
221 Goodbye. 

22nd August - exactly the same process as on 21st, BUT login refused:

Processing of webstats started at Friday, 20190822 05:30:01.
Connected to homepages.plus.net.
220-PLEASE NOTE: If you have a non-subscription account you will only be able to login to this ftp server if you are  dialled into our network.
A Maximum of 4 concurrent connections are allowed to this server, each session is
limited to 256KB/s downloads.
220 Plus.Net FTP Server #1 ready
331 Password required for kaspencer
530 Login incorrect.
Login failed.

23rd August - exactly the same process as on 21st, BUT login again refused:

Processing of webstats started at Friday, 20190823 05:30:01. 
Connected to homepages.plus.net. 220-PLEASE NOTE: If you have a non-subscription account you will only be able to login to this ftp server if you are dialled into our network. A Maximum of 4 concurrent connections are allowed to this server, each session is
limited to 256KB/s downloads. 220 Plus.Net FTP Server #1 ready 331 Password required for kaspencer 530 Login incorrect. Login failed.

The amount of time and energy being consumed by all these messages would have been eliminated if PlusNet had a proper routine for dealing with issues IN STRICT ORDER OF SUBMISSION. Apart from all the annoyance and frustration caused since this issue emerged in the first week of May, everyones time is being wasted telling me "that the issue has been - put on hold - released - awaiting some imaginary action of some team of other" - when all it would take is one reasonably intelligent operative to look at the FTP servers and their configuration and logs against my FTP account and correct the error.

Invite me up to Sheffield, or to LINX or wherever and I could probably sort it out myself.

What do I have to do to get this matter resolved? Chain myself to the gates of PlusNet?

KA Spencer

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @kaspencer,

Thanks for getting back in touch.

I am disappointed this has not been rectified yet, I'll note info down this info over our raised task with them internally.

From checking over the internal raised task there has not been an update as of yet.

I am truly sorry this is still happening, rest assured we are working to get this fixed for you.

kaspencer
Rising Star

@Mads @MasterOfReality @OskarPapa @RandallFlagg 

So, more than a month has passed, and no news of a solution to this issue. However, not wishing to "speak too soon" my FTP LOGIN scripts have not been obstructed for several weeks.

- has the issue been resolved but someone has failed to let me know? (Maybe that someone was ashamed?)

- several people have promised me action, and news, but nothing has been forthcoming.

I am hesitant in raising the profile again, in case it provokes a repeat of the FTP LOGIN failures which were happening so regularly - is it over? May I relax and close this thread?

Kenneth Spencer

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @kaspencer,

I'm glad to hear that this issue now appears to be resolved and for the inconvenience that this has caued you. To be honest, I'm not quite sure if there were any changes made from here as I don't have access to the relevant system.

As everything has been okay for a few weeks, it's likely that this problem is now resolved. However, this thread will stay open and you can get back in touch on here at any time if you experience any further problems with this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
kaspencer
Rising Star

@EmilyD @Mads @MasterOfReality @OskarPapa @bobpullen 

Thank you Emily.

But, surely, leaving the matter to chance is not wise - I have had a clear month previously, but then the issue has re-occurred. And leaving it to chance is probably the cause of this issue going on since April anyway.

Could someone please contact your Networks Team (or whomsoever is responsible) and ask whether this issue has actually been resolved or whether I should expect a recurrence.

My experience (and yours too surely) is that issues don't resolve themselves, although your Networks Team may be able to account for the resolution by an hardware change or a co-incidental configuration adjustment.

Or maybe someone crept in, in the middle of the night, thinking: "I hope I can put right that configuration mistake I made in April, without anyone knowing it was me".

Kenneth Spencer

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @kaspencer, thanks for your post.

I've just sent over a chaser to the infrastructure operations team to try and find out a) if a fix was rolled out and b) what the actual fix was (if any).

The usual timescale for a response is up to 5 working days, although we would expect a response realistically within the next 48 hours.

We'll let you know when we receive said response.

kaspencer
Rising Star

@OskarPapa 

It ssems that the issue is now resolved, although no news to that effect was actually received. Nevertheless, @OskarPapa as the issue went on for so many months, it would be good to know the cause and the solution. Even if your corporate memory fails to remember any details I will remember them, should that fault arise again in the future!

Many thanks (partially in anticipation of the news)

Kenneth Spencer

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @kaspencer,

As the issue resolved it self before the team could investigate and resolve, it would be hard to determine the root cause of the issue.

Please get back to us if the issue reoccurs and we will investigate this further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

A disappointing result @kaspencer 

I escalated this via the SuperUser channels back in early July (post #47), but little seems to have happened and it dropped off the radar. Undecided   I have given the topic another reminder poke.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.