cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP Login is being refused ...

kaspencer
Rising Star

Re: FTP Login is being refused ...

I'm again sorry to report that the FTP login failed again this morning. I won't repeat the sending of my log because it is identical to yesterday's, and to the other failures.

Why is this happening? I really do not think that it is at my end, because:

- this script has run for years (since 20130618 in fact, and for ages before that when I ran them on Windows Server 2003R2);
- there are no differences at my end between the successes and the failures, other than the success or failure, as far as I can see.

So I wonder: is it one particular FTP server causing the issue?
Are the logs-in hitting the same server every time (it usually report server #1, but there's no guarantee that is right, is there?).
From a comment earlier, it appears that the server fails to identify my account. Is that a clue?

Over to you, @bobpullen @LaurenB 

Kenneth Spencer

weeartyones

Some ftp software will not work on certain servers. I have notice this more so the last few years. Never use to happen.  Also one other thing you could try sometimes make a different. Use the ip instead of the host name

kaspencer
Rising Star

@weeartyones well if it IS the dns servers, then Plusnet should be able to sort that out, as that isn't a reliable solution - if they change the IP of the FTP server/s the whole thing will pack up anyway.

No this needs a proper investigation - it is now getting to be annoying - a professional IT Support depatmemnt in a large ISP that says it is the best, should pull out all proverbial fingers, and let's see it cured. There is either:
- a configuration error in one or more servers (dns, ftp or whatever);
- software fault or currupt file somewhere;
- a hardware fault.

Kenneth Spencer

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@kaspencer, the errors weren't isolated to a single server when I looked. One of my first suspicions. There were both successes and failures hitting the same boxes.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

kaspencer
Rising Star

Thanks @bobpullen - it worked this morning.

Does that mean the issue is now resolved? Or is a slution hunt still ongoing?

Kenneth Spencer

weeartyones

Did you find a solution then? Just i do face the same issue from time to time with ftp

kaspencer
Rising Star

@bobpullen I have now had eleven days free of FTP failures.

I think I'll regard it as solved, at least for the moment! So thanks for that (and @OskarPapa @adamwalker @LaurenB too)

@weeartyones - as stated above the issue seems to have been resolved for me -  you need to establish whether the FTP server is rejecting your login, or whether you are not issung the correct credentials.

But I'll be back if it fails again!

Kenneth Spencer

Moderators Note
Fix removed as it clearly isn't.

kaspencer
Rising Star

@bobpullen , @OskarPapa , @adamwalker , @LaurenB - I'm afteaid it was clearly premature as today, on returne form a few days away I find that there were login failures on Sunday 5th:

Processing of webstats started at Sunday, 20190505 05:30:01.
Connected to homepages.plus.net.
220-PLEASE NOTE: If you have a non-subscription account you  will only be able to login to this ftp server if you are  dialled into our network.
A Maximum of 4 concurrent connections are allowed to this server, each session is limited to 256KB/s downloads.

220 Plus.Net FTP Server #1 ready
331 Password required for kaspencer
530 Login incorrect.
Login failed.

, and on Friday 5th:

Processing of webstats started at Friday, 20190503 05:30:01.
220-PLEASE NOTE: If you have a non-subscription account you  will only be able to login to this ftp server if you are  dialled into our network.

A Maximum of 4 concurrent connections are allowed to this  server, each session is limited to 256KB/s downloads.

530 Login incorrect.
Login failed.

It is plain to me that this needs escalating, as it is becoming very troublesome - and starting to destroy your reputation!

Early and complete resolution now requested,

Kenneth Spencer

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Kenneth.

I've made our infrastructure engineers aware that this is still a problem for you.

We'll let you know when we know more. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@kaspencer 

Just an idea but can you remember if it were hitting server #1 when it was working. Just wondering how many FTP servers they have - I guess they may be mirrored to other physical servers and some are working for you when some are not?

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Mine is behaving ok today so far. No errors reported.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
kaspencer
Rising Star

@Alex looking at the logs, at least this month so far, it was server #1 every time, whether successful or not.

Kenneth Spencer

kaspencer
Rising Star

@Strat @Gandalf @bobpullen Sorry to report today that FTP LOgin was refused again.

Here is the extract from the log of my own webstat retrieval script:

Processing of webstats started at Thursday, 20190523 05:30:01.
220-PLEASE NOTE: If you have a non-subscription account you will only be able to login to this ftp server if you are dialled into our network.

A Maximum of 4 concurrent connections are allowed to this server, each session is limited to 256KB/s downloads.

530 Login incorrect.
Login failed.

So it seems that there is still an issue lurking somewhere - it really would be very nice to have this issue resolved ... properly!

Kenneth Spencer

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @kaspencer 

I've checked the task which was raised to our Infrastructure team and it was updated 2 days ago stating that the issue is still under investigation, the ticket regarding this on your account has been placed on hold until Monday 27th - at which point we will be able to check again and provide you with any fresh updates. 

Please accept my apologies, and thank you for the patience and understanding you have shown whilst we have been working on this issue.

Kind Regards, 

MoR

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I had a break in service yesterday afternoon but it was only brief...like 1/2 hr.

Ok today.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine