cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP CGI Server Problem

bootfairs

FTP CGI Server Problem

FTP CGI Server Problem
For several years until April this year I have used my cute FTP to transfer my CGI files to cshell.force9.net using my BT broadband connection. Now I am unable to connect to the cshell.force9.net server. Plusnet claim they have always incorporated restriction from non Plusnet IP addresses as an added security measure. In addition Plusnet claim that no changes have taken place or any errors corrected.
As I do not have a dial up modem, and plusnet have confirmed I have not accessed my plusnet dial up account I am perplexed how I have download my CGI files for the last two or so years?
Have any other users managed to FTP to the CGI server using BT broadband or a non plusnet IP?
Or can someone stop me thinking Plusnet Customer Support are correct (ie. I did not access the CGI server via my BT broadband) and I am going MAD
2 REPLIES 2
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Re: FTP CGI Server Problem

I've been here over 5 years and as far as I can remember we have never allowed FTP (or shell) access to cshell from non plusnet IP ranges.
Do you use wireless at all? It's possible that you had inadvertently connected to a nearby unsecured wireless connection that is on Plusnet, which would have allowed access. Other than that I can't think of any other reason why you would have been able to connect.
HTH
stjohnschurch

Re: FTP CGI Server Problem

I have exactly the same problem. A year ago our church set up a broadband connection, and at the time I activated the CGI workspace and FTP'd a few PHP files there (still annoyed that I have to go through this hoop just to run PHP).
Am now looking to transfer our church website to Plusnet but find I can no longer FTP from home. But I know that I did FTP from home using BT Broadband and can no longer do so.
It looks like transferring our website to Plusnet will be a non-starter as I don't want to travel into our church office every time I want to make a change to the website.