Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Domain Name To Use Plusnet Webspace

paxy
Grafter

External Domain Name To Use Plusnet Webspace

Hi
I have included webhosting on my broadband package.  I also have a .co.uk domain name through daily.co.uk.  Is it still possible for me to be able to direct my dns to my plusnet hosting space - if so what do I need to request?
Thanks Pax
6 REPLIES 6
ramidoodle
Grafter

Re: External Domain Name To Use Plusnet Webspace

Hi,
You can transfer your domain for hosting only with plusnet. this means that you will have the domain billing with Easily but the webhosting and the email for the domain will be through plusnet
http://www.plus.net/support/domains_and_dns/hosting/domainin.shtml#hostingonly
http://www.plus.net/support/domains_and_dns/hosting/hosting_allowances.shtml
the first link has got the details of of how to do this Smiley
paxy
Grafter

Thanks! Great!
Rather than setting up neameservers to plusnet can I just modify my DNS records www 'a' record on daily to point to plusnet?
(You see I currently use googlemail to host my domain email and this works very well and I dont want to change that bit)
Thanks Pax
ramidoodle
Grafter

Hi,
I'm afraid that 'A' record wont work because plusnet webhosting is shared hosting platform. you can try CNAME instead:
www CNAME www.username.plus.com.
there is a dot after the com Wink
Ben_Brown
Grafter

A CNAME won't work either for the same reason. To have a site hosted on our platform the domain needs adding to our domain control system (DCS) via the portal, and for that to work properly the nameservers on your domain will need to be set to ns1.force9.net and ns2.force9.net.
If the domain isn't in our DCS then the appropriate mappings won't be put in to our webservers so they won't know where to get the content of your site from.
paxy
Grafter

ok - thanks for that.  So could I move the nameservers and then set up my MX records via plusnet to point back to googlemail?
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Yes, that should work fine.